[SOLVED] UEFI Secure boot after disk clone

Sep 1, 2020
I'm reluctant to post another thread to so many others but my situation is slightly different so here goes... I'd be super grateful for any help.

What I'm trying to do

Clone a SSD from my old machine onto my new NVMe device, both in the new machine.

What I've done

1. I bought a new machine and lifted the old SSD out of the previous machine to avoid having to reinstall Windows and everything else.
  2. Managed to boot off the old SSD. Yay. Enabled CSM and all was good.
  3. Now I want to clone the entire old SSD onto the new M.2 NVMe storage. They are both the same size.
  4. I jumped through some hoops and figured I needed to ensure the M.2 was GPT and not MBR like the old disk. So I converted it and cloned all the partitions.
  5. So I'm now in the state where I have two identically layed out disks. I can boot from the old with CSM enabled but as soon as I turn off CSM and try and boot from the clone, I get a variety of fascinating error messages.

So I'm not stuffed since I can boot just fine but I clearly wanna be using the shiny NVMe without rebooting. What gives?

The latest error message is the seemingly common missing or damaged "File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD". Bootrec /Fixboot gives access denied. Disk setup looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/vgSmcLa

Wasted enough time on this so though I'd ask for some help. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Solution
Clone a SSD from my old machine onto my new NVMe device, both in the new machine.

Bad move x2.

Old system -> new system....you really needed a fresh OS install.
SATA -> NVMe...that can be problematic in the best of circumstances.
Sep 1, 2020
Thanks. Yeah, I realise it's not optimal. And I may have spent more time faffing than a fresh install would take... Last ditch effort for a subject matter expert here.