[SOLVED] UEFI vs Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_jim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
How do drives get assigned/marked/become UEFI vs Legacy?

I need to change my windows drive to UEFI because I cannot now access it.

Supplemental information:
After a power glitch, I can no longer boot into Windows. I get the error "MBR error 1, press any key to boot from floppy ...".
I have an image of drive made using Acronis software. Acronis Recovery copies the image to the drive, but gives me a warning that it will not boot. Sure enough, when I try to boot I get the same error. Folks on the Acronis forum say it is probably because the drive is not UEFI.

Solution

After a power glitch, I can no longer boot into Windows. I get the error "MBR error 1, press any key to boot from floppy ...".
I have an image of drive made using Acronis software. Acronis Recovery copies the image to the drive, but gives me a warning that it will not boot. Sure enough, when I try to boot I get the same error. Folks on the Acronis forum say it is probably because the drive is not UEFI.
Drives are not UEFI or Legacy, BIOS can be in those modes though, that's where you set either mode. (note that Legacy mode can also be called CSM).
For UEFI mode disk...
UEFI drives are supposed to be formatted using the GPT drive format, so older MBR formatted drives won't boot if you change to UEFI booting. GPT was created because older MBR formatted drives were limited to 1.2 TB in capacity. You may need to completely reformat the drive as GPT and reinstall everything.

Drives are not UEFI or Legacy, BIOS can be in those modes though, that's where you set either mode. (note that Legacy mode can also be called CSM).
For UEFI mode disk has to be formatted as GPT and Windows installed also as UEFI. If so there would be a small EFI partition on system disk.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.