UEFI won’t even boot to any drive. Works occasionally but not often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffysniper10

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
So I made an image backup of my computer and put it on an external hard drive, attempted a RAID0 setup, got the setup to work, I know you can’t boot from a RAID0 so I got an old 500gb hard drive, installed windows on it, and tried to boot from it, but I keep getting black screens. Also, in the UEFI, I constantly get drives that I don’t know exist, such as a “CD” that it thinks I have in my computer which I don’t, but I can’t tell you the name of it cause at the moment my computer is stuck at an all black screen with a little dash as if I’m typing in cmd. If I mess around with the legacy/uefi booting settings, a realtek drive will come up, which usually works. Sometimes when I restart my computer, the Realtek drive doesn’t show up at all, and sometimes it just doesn’t boot. When it does, I’m prompted with boot windows from volume 1,2, or setup. Volume 2 and setup just make my computer black screen again, while volume 1 works about half the time, crashing within a matter of minutes. I’ve dowloaded the windows iso to mount and setup within windows, only to realize it has to restart my computer. I also can’t restore my image backup, because my computer has to restart. This is infuriating. I’ve dropped 1K on this computer and I’m in high school. That’s all my money, plus I need to use it for school. I need a solution. If you need more info please for the love of god ask and I will do my damndest to find out what you need to know to help me fix this god forsaken piece of machinery from the depths of hell.

Reactions: Jeffs0418
Solution
A few details about your mobo UEFI(BIOS) would help. Remember half the data is stored on each drive in a simple 2 drive RAID0 setup in odd/even segments.
As far as I know if you create a RAID0 array it must remain enabled in the UEFI to function. If I'm correct in assuming volume 1, 2 are the RAID0 setup.
Recover your image to the RAID0 setup and boot from RAID (not AHCI)

Jeffs0418

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
A few details about your mobo UEFI(BIOS) would help. Remember half the data is stored on each drive in a simple 2 drive RAID0 setup in odd/even segments.
As far as I know if you create a RAID0 array it must remain enabled in the UEFI to function. If I'm correct in assuming volume 1, 2 are the RAID0 setup.
Recover your image to the RAID0 setup and boot from RAID (not AHCI)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.