UK 4G to Interfere with 2 Million TVs in Total

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenkendrick

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]People still watch terrestrial TV? Surely satellite, cable and Netflix have killed it.[/citation]

Digital terrestrial television is free. Which of the three options you listed comes with a cost that low?

G

Nope, digital terrestrial TV is not free in the UK - you have to pay a license fee.

stephenkendrick

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
You have to pay a license fee per household whether you watch digital terrestrial, satellite, cable or even internet TV (for stations that broadcast over any of the standard UK distribution channels). This is effectively an everyday tax in the UK, and incidentally is free to those over the age of 75, those least likely to be interested in anything other than the 'standard' channels.

You must pay the tax if you have any apparatus capable of displaying broadcast television programs, whether you actually do so or not. If you have an internet connected computer, you are arguably required to purchase a television license, as that equipment is capable of being used to view online television. I don't know that this has been legally tested against smartphones or tablets as yet, despite their obvious capabilities.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Vaizey said today that the carriers responsible for the 4G networks will also foot the bill for alleviating the interference caused by their new, faster networks.

Will they foot that bill out of their normal profits, out of the goodness of their hearts? I doubt that. It is the consumer who will pay for those filters and installers, by way of higher rates.

While the politicos like to make it sound like they're making big business pay for things, the reality on the street is the consumers still pay.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Digital terrestrial television is free. Which of the three options you listed comes with a cost that low?

In the US, we have FREE digital television too, but its absolute crap and without a high end antennae you get litterally 5 channels

IMO 4G would be better.

[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]In the US, we have FREE digital television too, but its absolute crap and without a high end antennae you get litterally 5 channelsIMO 4G would be better.[/citation]

I have used free digital TV, I'm in the USA, and I had dozens of channels, most of which worked very well, and some of which were in HD.

mdahouse

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]stephenkendrick[/nom]You have to pay a license fee per household whether you watch digital terrestrial, satellite, cable or even internet TV (for stations that broadcast over any of the standard UK distribution channels). This is effectively an everyday tax in the UK, and incidentally is free to those over the age of 75, those least likely to be interested in anything other than the 'standard' channels.You must pay the tax if you have any apparatus capable of displaying broadcast television programs, whether you actually do so or not. If you have an internet connected computer, you are arguably required to purchase a television license, as that equipment is capable of being used to view online television. I don't know that this has been legally tested against smartphones or tablets as yet, despite their obvious capabilities.[/citation]

That is not true.
You need a valid TV Licence if you use TV receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV. ‘TV receiving equipment’ means any equipment which is used to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This includes a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device.

You do not need a TV License if you use a TV to watch DVD/Blu-Rays etc or to play XBOX/Playstation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.