UK Consumers Said to Be Complaining About iPad's 4G Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
You'd think that the geniuses at Apple would check the technical requirements in the various countries beforehand.

But no surprise as US companies have traditionally had proplems addapting to the requirements of export markets.

Walmart stocked up on US size pillow cases in Germany; they don't fit.
US Car manufacturers have yet to learn that some countries drive on the 'wrong' side and need the dashboard switched; i.e. steering on the right.
So let's not blame Apple for joining the club :)

[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Why is this apples fault that the UK doesn't have any decent cell phone companies?[/citation]
Read before you post. GSM standard was first implemented in Europe, only after that US companies began (slowly) adopting it.

azrealhk

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]You aren't holding it right to get 4G.[/citation]
If you hold it in the US of A, it will work;)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]But no surprise as US companies have traditionally had proplems addapting to the requirements of export markets.Walmart stocked up on US size pillow cases in Germany; they don't fit.US Car manufacturers have yet to learn that some countries drive on the 'wrong' side and need the dashboard switched; i.e. steering on the right.So let's not blame Apple for joining the club :)[/citation]

In mid 2000's, Sony's large Christmas shipment of PS2s or PS3s were halted in the Netherlands. It turned out that the cables contained metals that were banned by the Dutch, but was perfectly legal to use in the US.

Ouch.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
as much as i hate mac,, NO. i dont think its fair for people to get refunded.. they bought a device capable of 4g. if i was to buy other electronic devices and i didn't have the other hardware to get the full speed out my my devices i should not be entitled to a refund.. so for example, if i bought 100meg internet service, yet my pc was old and too slow to use that bandwidth, i would not be entitled to a refund on my internet.. so, no. i do not think apple should have to refund anything.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]bryonhowley[/nom]As long as it works in the U.S.A. I do not care.[/citation]

to bad the wolrd is bigger then the US :) and some of us use a more or less unifide GSM standard :p and not CDMA crap :) FYI most T-Mobile US 3G devices don't work on 3G here in Europe as well, you can get regular GSM up to EDGE but no 3G.

rgjhawkins

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]as much as i hate mac,, NO. i dont think its fair for people to get refunded.. they bought a device capable of 4g. if i was to buy other electronic devices and i didn't have the other hardware to get the full speed out my my devices i should not be entitled to a refund.. so for example, if i bought 100meg internet service, yet my pc was old and too slow to use that bandwidth, i would not be entitled to a refund on my internet.. so, no. i do not think apple should have to refund anything.[/citation]

The problem is that they advertise that the ipad is a 4g device in the UK, it will never be as its not compatible with UK's 4g MHZ range, Its not that the 4g networks dont exist, the ipad just does not support it. So dont tell consumers that its a 4g device.

Its like selling a magical "Anti gravity chair" on eath that lets you float around your garden, BUT this functionality will only work in deep space! ;)

just my thoughts

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
this is for australia users and for uk users as wells if it was granted.

if your phone has scratches but happy with not having 4g, ask for full refund and tell them you're unhappy with not having 4g connection. buy another brand new iphone.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Why oh why do we need 20 different bands for the same product? why can't we just simplify it, and every country use the same bands? It's so frustrating to buy a phone/tablet, only to find out it's not compatible with your country/carrier

[citation][nom]tearve88[/nom]i do not think apple should have to refund anything.[/citation]
I think apple should have to refund something. It was marketed as compatible with LTE Networks. these countries use different LTE Networks so it's misleading. You're just a fanboy.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Apple designs everything as a one size fits all. Therefore it's actually the other countries fault for not being compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.