Ultimate Audio Workstation

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Quick note: I am not planning on executing this plan any time soon, this is just something for reference

Ok, so I have been in the whole audio nerd thing for about 4 years now and I have a good computer as it is, but in the coming years, I want to build the best possible workstation for just audio that I can. Let's put an arbitrary price cap at about $3000. That is the maximum amount of cash I'd be willing to spend.

What I am looking for is:
Windows operating system (obviously)
As much power as possible to have incredibly short latency without under runs. (mostly CPU based)
Lots and lots of connectivity, possibly including thunderbolt and firewire
Plenty of fast storage
Good looks
and above all, silent

The reason I am really ambiguous with these parameters is that I want to see what you guys come up with. I am more than capable of doing some leg-work and looking it all up (I already have), but I want to see what other people think. Let's say this is a creativity project.

Big thanks to anybody who contributes.

jasonhames

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Tcjbv

- Operating System is a personal choice between windows 7 and 8.
- I don't know much about the 5th-gen intels, but the i7-4930k should be plenty powerful enough.
- Good looks is a personal thing again, but the replace any fans in the case with silent fans.
- The SeaSonic X1050 is a very quiet PSU.
- Go for SSDs over HDDs as less moving parts = less noise.
- I went with the GTX 750 TI as it is plenty powerful enough for anything you may need and it is quiet.
- 16 GB of RAM should be plenty, but feel free to adjust accordingly.
- And finally, you're going to want a dedicated sound card. I don't have personal experience, but I hear that the Creative ZXR is top notch.

taxemicshadow

Honorable
May 19, 2012

That's a nice setup there, I've got the soundcard handled with an out-board interface but I like the inclusion.
I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that 16 gigs of ram is almost 200 bucks now. I got that much for $60-70 a little over a year ago.