Review Ultimate Hacking Keyboard Review: Pricey Developers' Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2020
Hi, and thanks for the review! I'm the founder of the UHK, and please let me comment on some of the points mentioned.

1. The UHK is perfectly usable for gaming, unless one needs the arrow keys, the F keys or Escape. I respect the opinion of Nate, but nobody has ever complained yet about Space being hard to reach while gaming, and there's also an extra Space key which is part of the case.

2. Agent is rock solid and fast at this point. It definitely shouldn't be sluggish. This must be an installation-specific issue. We fix bugs and performance issues in a timely manner, and we welcome a bug report regarding this issue, so that we can look into it.

3. I'd like to emphasize that while the UHK is expensive, it's not overpriced. High-end split mechanical keyboards are in the $275 range, just like the UHK, and some of them are more expensive. As for the palm rest, it's made from natural beech wood, which is then machined, pickled, lacquered, and finally fixated to a powder-coated steel plate. Nobody else offers such a high-end palm rest, and it's our lowest margin product for $75. The modules do cost extra of course, and they're one-of-a-kind innovations.

4. The article states that the UHK doesn't support game mode. I'm always amused by such marketing terms. Assuming that game mode means the ability to disable the Windows keys, the UHK does support game mode.

5. We'll release an updated UHK version later which will contain per-key RGB backlighting, and a lot of other goodies.

Cheers!
- Laci

Mar 12, 2020
One important feature I feel was missed is the Finger Resting Point on "Home Row". Every key can be reached without shifting your resting point. Using a ruler you'll see points are optimal for each key; UHK makes the best use of each finger. Even the spacebar -mentioned negatively- can now share more than one key for the thumb.

This Finger Resting Point affects many things like ergonomics, performance and eyeline. The backlight was mentioned in the review, but with this keyboard you don't look at the keys. That's the point.

This is the perfect design for a trained typist. It took me a long time to find something like this. Anyone who uses a keyboard over a mouse would benefit from the design; novelists, console users, data entry, etc.

Jul 8, 2020
Hi, and thanks for the review! I'm the founder of the UHK, and please let me comment on some of the points mentioned.

1. The UHK is perfectly usable for gaming, unless one needs the arrow keys, the F keys or Escape. I respect the opinion of Nate, but nobody has ever complained yet about Space being hard to reach while gaming, and there's also an extra Space key which is part of the case.

2. Agent is rock solid and fast at this point. It definitely shouldn't be sluggish. This must be an installation-specific issue. We fix bugs and performance issues in a timely manner, and we welcome a bug report regarding this issue, so that we can look into it.

3. I'd like to emphasize that while the UHK is expensive, it's not overpriced. High-end split mechanical keyboards are in the $275 range, just like the UHK, and some of them are more expensive. As for the palm rest, it's made from natural beech wood, which is then machined, pickled, lacquered, and finally fixated to a powder-coated steel plate. Nobody else offers such a high-end palm rest, and it's our lowest margin product for $75. The modules do cost extra of course, and they're one-of-a-kind innovations.

4. The article states that the UHK doesn't support game mode. I'm always amused by such marketing terms. Assuming that game mode means the ability to disable the Windows keys, the UHK does support game mode.

5. We'll release an updated UHK version later which will contain per-key RGB backlighting, and a lot of other goodies.

Cheers!
- Laci

The lack of a left hand space key in the normal spot is certainly very awkward for shooter games, and likely mmo as well. I found it quite natural and obvious to just re-bind the left mod key via Agent; I assume most gamers have likely done the same.

It seems the reviewer didn't have a complete grasp on the unparalleled power of Agent. IMO Agent is a killer feature of the UHK.

I completely disagree with the idea of the UHK as a poor gaming keyboard- quite the opposite, it is incredible for gaming. I can achieve things with mod layers that would be difficult/impossible to do otherwise. One of my particularly loved tweaks is the ability to use the mouse key as a mod layer with q and e - I have done this to simultaneously peak and easily pivot around corners in tactical shooters. Doing this with a traditional hand contortion over q and a or e and d is a nightmare in comparison.

I don't play much MMO but there the mod layers are also extremely helpful, even necessary at higher levels of play in more complex titles.

You may want to consider implementing a gaming layout or two in Agent by default.

Last edited:

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Why will keyboard manufacturers understand that we don't want to learn a new layout? What we have is just fine. Now if we can re-program some keys, that's just fine but by default the keys should not be moved around. Every ergo keyboard (except Microsoft and probably Logitech though Logitech isn't very ergonomic) ignores convention for no apparent reason. I see the same with many laptop layouts. Its idiotic.

May 14, 2021

Cheers!
- Laci

Good evening,
I've been thinking of buying UHK for quite a while now (several months, in fact). It's pricey for me but I just keep on imagining all the combos I'd do with it. The layout and the design are just perfect.
I just have one question that doesn't get out of my mind. Do you keep the software updated for MacOS all the time?

I've been using windows for majority of my life and I didn't ever jump into these problems earlier. I've had Razer products which were very soon left unsupported on MacOS. Then I found a company that bragged about keeping their software up to date, SteelSeries. I've bought a mouse from them, with many configurable buttons, intended to use for various softwares for different easy shortcuts. Their app just crashes after BigSur update which renders the product completely useless...

After that I've customized right CMD button into doing various different things (jkli for arrows, launching various apps, doing different things on those apps, etc) and just fell in love with it. But it just lacks everything compared to what's offered with UHK. More layers, enter key being so close to the home row, touchpad for thumb, key cluster.. Oh my god I want it so bad!

But I've already been super pissed about SteelSeries mouse, UHK with all the modules would cost 5x as much. Are you guys willing to update it..?

A gaming keyboard, maybe.

A keyboard for developers and sysadmins? Not even close. No function keys or number pad is a deal breaker right there. A set of "F" keys to the left of the keyboard, easily reachable without having to remove the left hand from the keyboard (just like the PC keyboards of old), as well as a duplicate set above the keyboard for those that prefer that layout.

May 14, 2021
A gaming keyboard, maybe.

A keyboard for developers and sysadmins? Not even close. No function keys or number pad is a deal breaker right there. A set of "F" keys to the left of the keyboard, easily reachable without having to remove the left hand from the keyboard (just like the PC keyboards of old), as well as a duplicate set above the keyboard for those that prefer that layout.

I don’t see a problem with that. Numbers row with a modifier can be pressed quicker than standard F keys and doesn’t disrupt hands position. I believe most people just can’t let go of what they’re used to... Not even considering to try to see another point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.