Ultra cheap GPU on Ebay

Jan 15, 2019
Just wanted to get your guys's thoughts on this 1070 ti for 100$ CAD: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-GTX-1070-TI-GAMING-8GB-Video-Card-GDDR5-3xDP-HDMI-DVI-SLI-VR-Ready/323650749473?hash=item4b5b168421:g:tY0AAOSwuNNcPguY:rk:4:pf:0

link here

It's got 30 day returns, seller gets 100%, it's brand new. If it's real, it would be pretty insane, I assume they are cards that were stockpiled for mining but since the market crashed this guys is just trying to get rid of them.

Love to get your thoughts on this.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Check history of seller's previous sales (similar types of products, or totally different?) - and if there was a long gap before this came up. That'd simply be one more piece of evidence on the pile to say scam.

Jan 15, 2019

there is a link, but for some reason toms hardware hid it

Oh, that happens some times to ebay links.
They have 0 seller feedback, only buyer feedback.

Its quite obviously a scam, but if you have the time to spare you can buy it and deal with ebays buyer protection if you really want to.

Lets see if I can post the link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-GTX-1070-TI-GAMING-8GB-Video-Card-GDDR5-3xDP-HDMI-DVI-SLI-VR-Ready/323650749473?hash=item4b5b168421:g:tY0AAOSwuNNcPguY:rk:4%3Cimg%20data-src=

I agree it's either a scam or the current AUCTION bid price. Bidding prices tend to go near the expected selling price for anything in demand like this.

You assume they are trying to get rid of them?
No way are they trying to get rid of them at that price. It makes no sense as they are still selling just fine. I think they are over $300USD right now.

Stockpiled for mining?
While it's true that happened and GPU (processor) sales got ramped up before the market crashed and there's an excess.. they are still selling them off to burn through the excess... that's why I don't expect to see a card under the RTX2060 (which is above the GTX1070) until the current Pascal stock is running out.

You never, ever drop the price on something way below what you can sell it for. You'd also be competing against your other products.

<Moderator edit for language>

Jan 15, 2019

It's not an auction, but I agree, it may be a scam, how hard is ebay buyer protection to deal with?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
^+1

The seller has 0 seller feedback, and all their feedback as a buyer is basically copy paste of the same few reviews over and over again. This is 100% a scam, even if you can probably get your money back why bother?

Jan 15, 2019
Well, I'm going to contact the seller to see what he sais about it. If it's a scam, I doubt he'll reply, if not, I'm still willing to consider it with the ebay money back guarantee.

The price is too good to be true, a lot of them on there. But if you get it, then benchmark it when you get it and see if it performs like a 1070ti. If not, file a claim of item not as described. The card could be a fake one though where they take an older card, flash the bios with a custom bios to make it show it is whatever card they are selling. Many people may not know a difference.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

I would guess that if you actually make the purchase the seller will contact you last minute to ask if the payment can be completed outside of paypal (will probably come up with some excuse for doing this).

You're right that if you purchase through paypal you should be virtually guaranteed to get your money back in the end if it's a scam. But given that it is 100% a scam, I don't know why you'd want to be out $100 for however long it takes for paypal to sort things out.