News Ultra-Fast SSDs Coming: 2400 MT/s NAND in Mass Production

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Nice that SSDs with PCIe 5.0 x4 interface are on the way. Not surprised if it still may take a bit of time though, in particular as many do not have a mainboard fully supportive of it (so far). On the other hand, the interest may increase, thanks to DirectStorage, and arguably some laptop manufacturers may be very interested to have their top tier models with PCIe 5.0 SSD.

And then there is also the thing about that GPUs can still grow in performance (i.e. the RTX 4090 is built on the 4nm process, while 3 nm is starting to be a thing now), possibly requiring a PCIe 5.0 interface / mainboard for full performance in the near future. Something which isn't bound to be that cheap at start to become mainstream of course. And then there is also the issue that gaming consoles run at around 200W for 4K gaming (upscaled), which is a bit of a problem for the PC market when 4K means running a rig at 800W and upwards. But that can also mean that many gamers will take a closer look at what other components to upgrade for better performance, such as the CPU and also new mainboard, and while at it, may as well go straight for one with PCIe 5.0 for SSD.

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Super lame. IOPS is like half the 990 pro and bros. That all that should matter at this point. Unless you need copying many big files, on such an ssd

cyrusfox

Distinguished
YMTC NAND, I am really curious to see the power figures, I would expect them to be far behind in efficiency at idle(Compared to Samsung, Hynix, Solidigm, Kioxia, & Micron), but for a gen 5 drive, no one should care about that, only top speed and raw random IO. They are the only NAND manufacturer doing wafer stacking, which I would think comes with an inherrent power penalty but I could be wrong.