Ultrabook or improving desktop components...

richhaley

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm in a situation where i'm either considering plumping for a decent ultrabook and scrapping my desktop, or upgrading my desktop components for a reasonable price.

I'd just like some advice on what people think would be suitable for my needs.

I dont play the most demanding games, for example, DotA2 and war of the roses. I would however try more demanding games if my pc could handle it.
I work as a textile designer, so would appreciate a system that could handle some reasonably demanding illustrator / photoshop use for when i want to work overtime.

How would a highish end utrabook (something like a lenovo yoga pro 2 13.3) handle these needs? I wouldn't expect the same performance as a desktop, but id be happy with benefiting from the portability.

And for the other option, what would you recommend to buy to improve my current system - attempting to keep under a budget of around £400-500?

Also, i've been having issues with my current setup with the computer turning itself off after gaming for 30-60mins or so. I thought i solved the problem with putting it a better fan, however the issue has returned. So i'm more than willing to gut out all the components if need be!

Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07GHz
4.00 GB (2x 2GB) Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24) - kingston hyper something or other
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-H55M-D2H (Socket 1156)
AMD Radeon HD 6850 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00M9A0 ATA Device (SATA)
125GB SanDisk SDSSDP128G SCSI Disk Device (SATA-SSD)

Thank you very much for any responses guys, it would be hugely appreciated!