Ultrabook Prices Dropping Before 2nd-Gen Ivy Bridge Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
But as more new ultrabooks begin to appear in the retail channel, the average price will quickly dip down into the $699-$799 USD realm in the second quarter.

Not bad, but still can't match heavier laptops for the same price. I don't care how much a laptop weighs as long as it's not more than 17'', it still doesn't fit in my pocket and therefore goes in the backpack.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
all for the lower prices, but the problem is they have such utterly horrible cooling, sure they're thin but i'd rather have an extra pound or two and have decent cooling instead of having to shell out $50 for a decent cooler

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Not bad, but still can't match heavier laptops for the same price. I don't care how much a laptop weighs as long as it's not more than 17'', it still doesn't fit in my pocket and therefore goes in the backpack.[/citation]

You can't use a 17" laptop on a normal lecture hall desk, in an airplane, on a train or even on your lap. It works fine as a movable desktop-replacement, but it just doesn't offer the mobility many people want from a laptop.

Being able to have your laptop with you at all times and use it anywhere is of much larger benefit to most people than a larger display or more performance.

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Whatever happened to the $349 ~12" models that were respectable? I guess gotta dig for low-end AMD models, but at least they are good bag for the buck!

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Probably a drop in prices after the hype has died down.

Tbh, if the thunderbolt gfx card idea could actually power the laptop screen, instead of requiring a seperate screen. I see no need for an 'ultra' book.

If you want to combine laptop portability with desktop power, you're better off having a dock system where the laptop can use additional resources, instead of having a laptop that fails at being a laptop.

yanjustin98

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Don't really see the practical point of "ultrathin" laptops. First of, the cooling suffers compared to other thicker laptops. Second, in correlation to the cooling, you have a higher chance of bottlenecking, performance drops, etc. Oh and the health experts say that hot laptops are bad for your legs... If they can convince me that ultrathin laptops can compete with something like a Dell Precision M6600 or even a laptop that's not as expensive then I might consider buying one. As for the mobility, many laptops come with 15 in screen anyways, and honestly, just get a backpack; it's not that clunky.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]You can't use a 17" laptop on a normal lecture hall desk, in an airplane, on a train or even on your lap. It works fine as a movable desktop-replacement, but it just doesn't offer the mobility many people want from a laptop.Being able to have your laptop with you at all times and use it anywhere is of much larger benefit to most people than a larger display or more performance.[/citation]

this is something that i will never understand...
why do people want a lighter laptop... i mean you carry it around in a backpack or a shoulder bag, and its almost never on your lap if you could help it. and when it is, having something with weight would help so it doesn't move as much...

i mean 17 or 19 inch laptop, thats pushing it for mobile... well without bezzle a 19 inch would fit in out 17 inches area, but i just dont understand weight... if its heavier it can do more, so i really dont understand why make it lighter...

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]2nd gen Ivy Bridge launch? Did I miss the 1st gen launch??[/citation]
Depends on whether you consider Sandy-E which is the same 3xxx numbers as Ivy will be. Or they might mean the 2nd gen Bridge launch (Ivy) which is more likely. I agree its bad wording though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS