Ultrabooks to Account for 43 Percent of Notebooks in 2015

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
What's the current ultrabooks' share? I predict ultrabook up to 40% notebook share before 2013 if they cut the price by half.... even by a third.

OTOH, IHS forecasts ultrabook share up to 98% in 2026.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]idk what's up with all the ultrabook hate. i would really like to have a light device that packs a punch. Probably will have those 10nm Intel chips. i don't care about graphics, i have a desktop for that. this will be on-the-move work for me, if i ever own one. and that'll be 2014-2015. i'm not just considering ultrabooks however, because i know that 5 years is a long time for the electronics industry.it's muslim, not muslem.[/citation]
I don't understand it either. The average specs on an ultrabook are going to be fine for the bulk of it's target demographic. Faster processors and better GPUs may provide only marginal improvements for browsing the web and using Office apps.

I fully understand the need for full sized laptops but it seems to me that thinner and lighter is the best way to improve the laptop experience for most users. If you can eliminate the ports and components that 90% of users will never user in order to make it thinner and light, why not? If you need that stuff, just get a full laptop.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, all they say is that in 2015 we have slimmer, and faster laptops than we have today... Hmm... We have now slimmer and faster laptops than 3 years ago. It seems so obvious, when you make comparison like that...
This is allmost as good article as when they say that those new 28 nm GPU's are 47% faster that old 40nm versions... Ofcourse they are... You don't have to have academic degree to predict that.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]They are labeling the average progression of technology as "ultra". Laptops ten years ago were fabed on silicon at 4 times lower density of transistors, so duh, they should be getting smaller. Calling them some prestigious item and jacking up the price tag is market manipulation.[/citation]

except they are takeing out functionality from ultra books, things that even 500$ laptops have, like a dvd drive. making them thin, makes them worse than cheaper full laptops, and more useless than even cheaper netbooks

hexagonal

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
There are those of us who are constantly travelling, but still need something better than a netbook. Ultrabooks allow us to lighten our luggage etc. Yep, they're definitely not worth their price, but if the company's paying -.^

I don't know about this. As much as I dislike Mac OS X, my friend's 2nd-gen Air can play some WoW on the fly and still last 6-7 hours. Considering these Ultrabooks only come with integrated graphics, would it offer the same experience as a MacBook Air for similar price? I doubt it.

ickarumba1

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I'm at currently at college and I make frequent trips between lecture theatres, the library and my dorm. I always carry my laptop with me to do work and study.
Combined with my textbooks, my laptop isn't light. If I can shave off a few pounds that I need to carry, then I will. I don't need a powerful gaming rig, but I need a decent computer (an atom netbook does not cut it).
So I fully support "ultrabooks" (such a stupid name). I wish they'd lower the prices, but I think that will happen as market demand increases over time.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I don't know about this. As much as I dislike Mac OS X, my friend's 2nd-gen Air can play some WoW on the fly and still last 6-7 hours. Considering these Ultrabooks only come with integrated graphics, would it offer the same experience as a MacBook Air for similar price? I doubt it.[/citation]

ivy bridge onwards, they definitely will.

Status
Not open for further replies.