Question Ultrawide screen recommendation ?

Narref

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello all
I currently have a 6-year old 34-inch LG 34UM69G-B flat monitor, with 2560 x 1080/ 75Hz resolution/refresh rate, which I was using to work and game in a 10-year old computer with a venerable Nvidia 960XT.
I have recently bought a new computer with a Geforce 4070 super, and was thinking on upgrading also my monitor, and leave my old monitor and computer at my parents house.

I recently snatched a €300 offer on an AOC CU34G2X/BK curved monitor, with 3444 x 1440 @ 144Hz resolution/refresh rate, but I haven't opened the box yet so I can still return it for a refund.

The question is: is this a worthy upgrade for €300 monitor, which I would use to work and non-competitive solo gaming? Or is it better to continue with my current monitor, and wait for a more noticeable upgrade?
Thanks all.

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
You have the right idea to buy a new monitor. Many people make the mistake of upgrading their system without a new monitor to follow suit. The monitor is what you look at and interact with every time you use your system; it's important to get one that performs well to ensure you take advantage of your system's new hardware. The AOC CU34G2X is a solid monitor all around, with its biggest weakness being the panel type.

The CU34 suffers from noticeable black smearing when viewing fast moving objects, which is a result of the VA panel. However, the pixel response time, input lag, and refresh rate are all strong points for this panel. If you have a little more money to spend, I would forgo the one you have and pick up the Dell S3422DWG instead. While the Dell is also a VA panel, the faster response times help reduce visible smearing. It also has better SDR and HDR brightness if your room gets lots of light, while simultaneously producing darker blacks. If you don't want to spend more than 300 euros then you will be just fine with your current choice.

Narref

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thanks for the extended response, I had been getting up to date with all the latest tech on monitors and had some more doubts.

Checking the specs for my current monitor, I realized it's an AH-IPS panel type. Would I notice this black smearing, especially when working? Or is it something that only appears when playing high-speed FPS games?

If I wanted to buy an IPS panel with the same size, that was a slight upgrade of my current one but no too pricey, what would be a good recommendation?

Thanks again for your support.