[SOLVED] Unable to activate Windows after changing motherboard and CPU ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

I just upgraded my Motherboard and CPU and now I can't activate the Windows, I have tried the following steps:
  1. Sign in as an administrator.
  2. Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Activation > Troubleshoot . The troubleshooter will show Windows can’t be activated on your device.
    Open Activation settings
  3. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.
  4. Enter your connected Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in. The troubleshooter will only work with the connected Microsoft account.
  5. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now.

The problem here is I can't see the new device name but I can see my old device name. Also there is no drop-down menu or anything.
    I can see both the devices new and old in my Microsoft account.

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
What version and edition of Windows did you get cuz that would be the reason why it's probably not . . . certain editions of Windows will allow you to have multiple devices at once or just one at a time. Idk if this is related but my friend kinda had this same issue too as he kept getting the Activate Windows queue every so often and he recently did change hardware. He didn't realize that he could've easily have clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently" and switch it with the old device that was actually the same device only different code, so................................

Reactions: Native Text

Native Text

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2017
What version and edition of Windows did you get cuz that would be the reason why it's probably not . . . certain editions of Windows will allow you to have multiple devices at once or just one at a time. Idk if this is related but my friend kinda had this same issue too as he kept getting the Activate Windows queue every so often and he recently did change hardware. He didn't realize that he could've easily have clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently" and switch it with the old device that was actually the same device only different code, so................................
You are a god sent, since I was unable to see the new device name, I never did try to reactivate the windows and always quit. But this time I went with just what you suggested reactivating the windows on the old device name and voila it worked.

Reactions: NanoSuit3
Status
Not open for further replies.