[SOLVED] Unable to allocate remaining storage space after recent reinstall of Windows 10 ?

xRelicanthx

Prominent
Mar 10, 2020
I recently reinstalled Windows 10 on my new PC as it was not in English and I wanted to use Windows English. After reinstalling Windows to my SSD, I found that I cannot allocate the remaining SSD storage space through Disk Management. If I try to allocate space, it gives me an error message saying "The size of the extent is less than the minimum".

After a bit of self research I found that the best way is to simply wipe the disk clean and start again, but I really don't want to have to go through the effort of reinstalling Windows again, as the SSD also contains Windows. How can I avoid a disk wipe to allocate my space?

Please see https://ibb.co/q7VwPtj for a screenshot of the error message and Disk Management!

Thank you!!!!

Solution
what is the best way to wipe and clean the SSD (considering it has windows on now), to ensure it is all unallocated and set to basic?
Diskpart clean method.
Boot from Windows installation media, press Shift+F10 to bring up Command prompt.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
While you were installing the OS anew, where you get to see which partition to choose to install the OS, did you delete all partitions(for the SSD) until you were left with only a single partition that said unallocated?

You've come this far, you shouldn't be lazy, not after you're working with a fresh install.

xRelicanthx

Prominent
Mar 10, 2020
While you were installing the OS anew, where you get to see which partition to choose to install the OS, did you delete all partitions(for the SSD) until you were left with only a single partition that said unallocated?

You've come this far, you shouldn't be lazy, not after you're working with a fresh install.

When installing, I am honestly not quite sure! It was a messy ordeal that is for sure. Initially I couldn't get any of my disks to display during installation. After trying 100 different ways, the default factory Chinese window had stopped working. Finally found a solution, but then the Wifi wasn't working during installation. So I ended up installing Windows 10 instead of 11 as it doesn't force network connection to complete installation. The ongoing issues of changing a new Chinese Windows PC into one with English Windows has taken up most of yesterday and today, so it's not that I am lazy per se, more that I don't want to risk having to go through the torturous process of completely installing Windows again,

But to answer your first question directly, I am not quite sure.

Thanks for your reply!

After a bit of self research I found that the best way is to simply wipe the disk clean and start again, but I really don't want to have to go through the effort of reinstalling Windows again, as the SSD also contains Windows. How can I avoid a disk wipe to allocate my space?
Easiest way is fresh install. Clean SSD before installing windows on it. Have 2TB HDD disconnected during install.

You have messed up big time there. OS drive has been converted to dynamic. You have to get it back to basic first.
There are 3rd party partition management software, that can do that - Minitool partition wizard free.
But your system may become unbootable after such conversion.

So you can try Minitool partition wizard. But be ready to reinstall windows, if something goes wrong.

xRelicanthx

Prominent
Mar 10, 2020
Easiest way is fresh install. Clean SSD before installing windows on it. Have 2TB HDD disconnected during install.

You have messed up big time there. OS drive has been converted to dynamic. You have to get it back to basic first.
There are 3rd party partition management software, that can do that - Minitool partition wizard free.
But your system may become unbootable after such conversion.

So you can try Minitool partition wizard. But be ready to reinstall windows, if something goes wrong.

Yer, I tried Minitool, but unfortunately it requires Pro version to convert the unallocated storage to basic, and I don't want to purchase a pro version of software I probably won't use again in the future.

If it comes to another fresh install, what is the best way to wipe and clean the SSD (considering it has windows on now), to ensure it is all unallocated and set to basic?

xRelicanthx

Prominent
Mar 10, 2020
Diskpart clean method.
Boot from Windows installation media, press Shift+F10 to bring up Command prompt.

delete-clean-partition-diskpart-windows10.jpg

Fantastic advice and answer. Luckily I found a free Partition Manager that was able to convert the disk to basic without interrupting Windows in any way and solved my problem. So for those that don't wish to clean the disk and start again check out - https://www.paragon-software.com/free/pm-express/#resources

After a restart was able to allocate a new volume with no issues. Thanks guys for the replies. Take care.