Question Unable to boot from M.2 NVMe drive ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 8, 2022
So I’ve spent a lot of time trying to fix this and would really appreciate any help!

I have an ASUS PRIME Z390-P motherboard
Team TM8FP6001t 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD
Intel i7-9700k

This started a few days ago, I noticed my cpu was being power throttled while gaming at times so I decided to check if there was something in the bios I could adjust to help. I haven’t been able to boot windows since making changes, and resetting the bios to default settings didn’t help.

I think I may have accidentally made changes that caused problems reading my m.2 drive. I used the ASUS EZ TUNER at one point and clicked raid, which it looks like it applied. After whatever changes I made, I was getting an inaccessible_boot_device bsod. Currently after the steps I’ve taken, I now get a winload.efi basic with error code 0x000000f.

So far I have tried many different bios settings, formatted the m.2 and installed windows 10 using a usb external hdd(also tried with iso windows media tool), reseated the m.2 drive, attempted following guides for command prompt commands but am getting stuck.

Some info that might be helpful - if I keep settings for nvme m.2 RST controlled and raid on, then I see my m.2 and can boot to get the winload.efi error. If I change that setting to not rst controlled and sata mode to ahci, then I cannot locate my m.2. I don’t know why I would need raid with only 1 drive total. Windows repair always fails.

I would really appreciate any help with this, I just want to be able to boot and use my pc as it was! If there’s any useful info I can add I would be happy to. I’m willing to try anything at this point. Thank you

For last ditch effort you could try recreating EFI system partition.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
(select 953GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
select partition 1
(select 100MB EFI system partition)​
delete partition override
create partition efi size=500
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
list volume
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H: /f UEFI
(assuming C: is windows OS partition)​
bootsect /nt60 H: /force

Dec 8, 2022
For last ditch effort you could try recreating EFI system partition.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 3
(select 953GB partition)​
shrink desired=500
select partition 1
(select 100MB EFI system partition)​
delete partition override
create partition efi size=500
format fs=fat32 quick
assign letter=H
list volume
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s H: /f UEFI
(assuming C: is windows OS partition)​
bootsect /nt60 H: /force
Thanks man, will try when I get home. Before I left I found an ssd from my old pc, installed it and was able to boot to it. Maybe now it will be easier to resolve, haven’t had a chance to look at anything yet. In your opinion, do you think this issue is more of a board problem, or bad m.2? Just wondering which one is the more likely culprit in case I replace the hardware

Dec 8, 2022
What model SSD ? Is it SATA drive?

May be there's some compatibility problem for your motherboard with Team TM8FP6001t 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD or
NVME SSDs in general.
What model SSD ? Is it SATA drive?

May be there's some compatibility problem for your motherboard with Team TM8FP6001t 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD or
NVME SSDs in general.
Can check the model if it's important but I'm pretty sure it's a samsung evo 1tb ssd from a couple years ago. Regular ssd, not m.2. I hooked it up to a sata port and power, booted it up and updated drivers. What's weird is that I can see my m.2 as the D drive for storage. My pc came with only that Team TM8FP6001t 1tb M.2 NVMe SSD in it and I never added anything or changed it before this issue. I found in device manager PCI Device and SM Bus Controller both have an exclamation mark and say driver missing. Will update the drivers and let you know, hoping that's it lol. Thanks so much for all the help by the way.