[SOLVED] Unable to boot into Windows 10 USB, Boot Loop

May 18, 2021
Hey yall. My friend just recently upgraded his rig and passed me his old hardware for me to use and I've been trying to install Windows 10 on a HDD with absolutely no luck. Whenever I try to boot off the W10 USB, the windows logo shows up for a split second before the system shuts off and enters a loop (attempts to boot into USB, windows logo appears, shuts off, etc.)

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350M Bazooka
Corsair Vengaence LPX 3200 (16GB)
MSI GTX 1060 (6 GB)
500W PSU

I made the bootable USB using the media creation tool on a VM. I've tried disabling/enabling secure boot and UEFI/Legacy+UEFI.

I swear this rig just refuses to boot into anything.... my friend didn't report any issues with the old parts (CPU + Mobo) before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Could be overheating could be the PSU could be the bios resetting and not seeing the mem correctly...could be anything at this point.
If you have a DVD drive you could try booting from a dvd, with an older version of windows or some linux distro, just to make sure that the system can boot up at all into any desktop.
Could be overheating could be the PSU could be the bios resetting and not seeing the mem correctly...could be anything at this point.
If you have a DVD drive you could try booting from a dvd, with an older version of windows or some linux distro, just to make sure that the system can boot up at all into any desktop.

Solution
May 18, 2021
I'm going to try and get my hands on a DVD drive today and see if that produces any progress. Is there anything else I can try in the meantime?

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but the HDD already has W10 on it and when I first put the system together, it couldn't boot into W10 producing error code 0xc00000f. I thought it was just because I switched out mobo + cpu but maybe there's something else to it? I'm not sure.

it couldn't boot into W10 producing error code 0xc00000f.
Most probable cause for this is a missing or corrupted BCD store, which is the info needed by the system to find the OS, this can usually be corrected by running the auto repair of windows installation several times, or if you can connect the drive as a secondary drive to a working system by using the free version of easybcd or the command line version of bcd that comes with windows.

May 18, 2021
Most probable cause for this is a missing or corrupted BCD store, which is the info needed by the system to find the OS
Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable on what the BCD store contains. Is it possible for it to successfully point to the OS on one system and not the other?

I mention this because I've just reassembled my original build (for the sake of completeness, this build includes an i3-4170 on an ASUS H81M-C. All other parts are the same). The system booted into W10 on the HDD without issue. Moreover, I was able to boot into the USB without a problem.

Is it possible the hardware itself is faulty? I'm on my way home to grab a DVD drive. I'll buy a blank DVD and burn the W10 setup on it.

May 18, 2021
Burned Windows 10 onto a DVD and it booted into it without problem after updating BIOS. Not sure which fixed the issue (since I updated the BIOS before running the DVD) but regardless the system is working as intended now.

Thanks for the help!