Question Unable to Boot, Motherboard Codes Not Even in Manual

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
For over a day now I haven't been able to boot into Windows, with the PC freezing on post code 08 and no debug light being on. 08 isn't even listed as a post code in the manual. I've tried to update the BIOS but still the same. I tried downgrading it instead, however now I just get code AA, which is just listed as "reserved". Other times it gets stuck on 76. The display is on and getting some signal, however it remains blank. Exact motherboard model is B650E Aorus Master. I also haven't made any changes that caused this to start happening.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used).

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
A bit of an update: After booting, it actually just displays a blank screen instead of the Windows login screen. The screen is very much on as it's lit up, and the display itself reports receiving a signal. And it's also not frozen, because when I leave it alone until the display goes to sleep, then move my mouse, it goes back to that lit up black screen. So any ideas?

Last edited:

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
are you using nvme's or SSD drives.. unplug them and see if you get to boot into bios without issue,.. i know a few people have said on other sites that the "08" code error is " nvme " based issue (if all lanes are used). and other say the "08" is a power issue to a device.. either nvme, or gpu. so you could also try another gpu.

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
are you using nvme's or SSD drives.. unplug them and see if you get to boot into bios without issue,.. i know a few people have said on other sites that the "08" code error is " nvme " based issue (if all lanes are used). and other say the "08" is a power issue to a device.. either nvme, or gpu. so you could also try another gpu.
Like I said, I can get into BIOS, just not any further.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Should they be on or off?
it depends on the OS , and if boot secure is on/off. and if when you installed the windows system.. (you should be able to look at boot drive section and it says "(uefi)" infront of your BOOT drive. then your on uefi, and you might need to ch4ck your "secure boot options.. (see your motherboard manual).

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
it depends on the OS , and if boot secure is on/off. and if when you installed the windows system.. (you should be able to look at boot drive section and it says "(uefi)" infront of your BOOT drive. then your on uefi, and you might need to ch4ck your "secure boot options.. (see your motherboard manual).
It's just regular Windows 11, so which options should I choose then?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
well my advice is to boot into bios and check whats its on.. and try the alternative and see if that sorts it, . if that does not work .. then you can try and set "bios" to "optimised settings" see if that chooses best option..

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
well my advice is to boot into bios and check whats its on.. and try the alternative and see if that sorts it, . if that does not work .. then you can try and set "bios" to "optimised settings" see if that chooses best option..
Tried with it on and off, same issue.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
there is 2 other options you could try ,but they are usually last resort..

1) pull battery from motherboard leavee out for 30+ minutes. and then reinset and "clear cmos".

if not working still try option 2 (last resort).

2) find space hard drive and do a fresh install (make sure "uefi" is on"). and see if that boots, (make sure you disconnect or remove current hard drive nvme or ssd).

if 2 works re add your original hard drive (but make sure its not set as "boot drive" and just coppy info across from that drive...

**i assume you have already tried the "recovery/ repair" options with the "usb boot drive"**

avrona

Honorable
Feb 11, 2019
Another update: tried the same boot drive in a different system, and exact same behaviour, darkness when the Windows login screen comes on. To double check then , what are the optical boot and CSM settings for it to make sure it boots before I go and clone the drive or something?

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
cloning wont help. it will likely have identical issue. .

the 2nd option was a fresh install of windows on a spare drive. set boot command for "uefi" and "secureboot "if you want to use secure boot.. (just make sure you disconnect or remove your current drive .. and then use "windows usb boot drive or windows cd... and do fresh install .if this boots and does not get stuck on the logo at all at any time during setup or after fully installed.. then you can either " attach your CURRENT drive" as a 2nd drive and just copy and paste the info across.. .. (dont format or cut n paste the infomation across.). run the new windows for a few days and make sure the issues does not come back. and if ok, in a few days "clone" the new windows on to the "old drive that was freezing" (format the drive and then clone)