Question Unable to boot windows from M.2 SSD

Dec 18, 2023
Hi so I got a new M.2 NVME SSD (Kingston fury renegade 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVME M.2) in the spring and installed it into my pc and used it as a secondary storage and for games, no problem here whatsoever that worked fine. But now I decided to reinstall windows to get a fresh start and I wanted to install onto the m2 drive. But I have not been successful to get windows to boot from it, here is a list on all the things I have done that I found searching online. My mother board is an ASUS PRIME X370-PRO it has one M.2 slot.

• I have updated BIOS to the latest version
  • Disconnected all other HDDs and SSDs when installing Windows
  • Formatted the M.2 SSD
  • Removed the USB while the computer is restarting when installing windows, but then it goes straight to the BIOS
  • Changed the boot order in BIOS
  • I found one post on reddit with a similar problem where the guy did a “Secure Erase” via ASUS BIOS but I could not find that option in my BIOS
  • Tried this that I found on Toms hardware forum (but it did not work) :
    Compatibility Support Mode - set to [DISABLED]

Secure Boot

1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not Windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode. (see #3 above)

10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

11 - Press F10 to save and exit and Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives

• When disabling the CSM in BIOS the motherboard no longer recognises the SSD
  • I also tried using command prompt when installing windows to clean it and create partitions but still the same problem remains.
  • What I found is that when I try to populate the volumes, I get an error message that says “Volume information for this disk cannot be found”
I have tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work to get windows to boot from the M.2 drive. Does anyone here know what the problem might be or is the SSD itself faulty even though I can use it as a storage device? After installing windows, I can see the files on the M.2 drive when booting up with my old SATA SSD.

Thanks in advance.

be sure windows boot manager is chosen in boot priority

reset the BIOS by jumper
Check the BIOS menu again. Be sure all is set to UEFI, and boot priority in hard drive BBS priority is set before trying to set the actual boot order to your SSD.

How did you install windows? Did you use Microsoft´s Media Creation Tool?

Might be not compatible to your BIOS
Update the BIOS of your motherboard within BIOS using an USB flash drive with the BIOS current file version unzipped on it and the BIOS menu EZflash

boot with the media creation tool created USB install stick, delete all partitions and click next

Last edited: