[SOLVED] Unable to connect to Archer MR200 from outside world / Alternate solution VPN behind Double NAT

rsethi

Honorable
Apr 19, 2014
Model: Archer MR200
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.9.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 190307 Rel.54196n
I have a TP-Link Archer MR200 router installed at Home.
I need to connect to the router and my Home Network from outside world.
  • TP-Link Archer MR200 is a 3G/4G router connecting to the internet using a SIM card.
  • As this is SIM Card based connection, the WAN IP address on router and result of Whats y IP google search differ. Means I am behind double NAT
  • DDNS service is not connecting from outside world due to double NAT
  • Please advice how can I create a VPN connection to my router.
  • I have setup openVPN on the router but unable to connect from outside world as DDNS itself is not connecting to the router from outside.
Any alternate solution to access the PC and devices behind this router would be really helpful
Please help and advice

Solution
Your real problem is not double nat it is that you have no control over one of the routers doing the NAT. Double nat can be solved if you have control of both routers.

What you actually have is called carrier NAT. They likely issue ip in the 100.x.x.x range but they may use private. In either case the NAT function that is causing you trouble is in the carrier network'

You can't really do anything about this just with equipment at your house. There is the slim chance you could come up with a solution where the server at your house attempts to open a vpn connection with a remote location...so in effect your remote location becomes the server. Not likely to be viable in the more common concept of remote access.

After this you...
Your real problem is not double nat it is that you have no control over one of the routers doing the NAT. Double nat can be solved if you have control of both routers.

What you actually have is called carrier NAT. They likely issue ip in the 100.x.x.x range but they may use private. In either case the NAT function that is causing you trouble is in the carrier network'

You can't really do anything about this just with equipment at your house. There is the slim chance you could come up with a solution where the server at your house attempts to open a vpn connection with a remote location...so in effect your remote location becomes the server. Not likely to be viable in the more common concept of remote access.

After this you need a some form a meetme server to solve this problem. Things like teamviewer or gotomypc are eamples of this service. Teamviewer is free for personal use but be aware all your traffic goes though their data center and nothing prevents them for using it for whatever purpose they choose.

Of course you could build your own meetme point by renting virtual server from one of the many hosting services and load vpn software on it.

Solution