[SOLVED] Unable to connect to parent ap

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I just have asus RT-AC53 router and I am trying to make it as a repeater but everytime I try it gives error saying could not connect to parent ap and it doesn't properly show the process of it becoming in repeater mode.

Worst of all is that it never goes to router.asus website unless I either reset it or spam refresh over again.

Is there any fix to this? My main router is to link Archer A7

Solution
This is one of the reasons I have repeaters so much. There is no consistency to the way this is implemented. All companies do it their own way since it is not part of the official wifi standards.

Where is the repeater located are you sure your computer can get strong signal from the repeater. This is the largest issue with any repeater it must be placed so it gets good signal from the main router but can also transmit a strong signal the end pc. Many times in a house this can be almost impossible if you have a wall or ceiling absorbing huge amounts of signal.

Other than that you must look at the configuration. Many have options to transmit different SSID. Some repeaters will use one radio to talk to the main router and then...
Does that device actually have a repeater mode. You must have the newer firmware to have this feature and that router is old.

The other problem is to run in repeater mode the main router must have a feature called WDS enabled. This is considered a security exposure so many router have it disabled or they require you to put in lists of mac address of the repeater units you which to allow to connect.

I have never upgraded a router with a USB. Some have the ability to download the files directly but in general you go to the manufacture web site down load the correct file to your pc. You then tell the router to use that file and it is transferred from your pc.

This is one of the reasons I have repeaters so much. There is no consistency to the way this is implemented. All companies do it their own way since it is not part of the official wifi standards.

Where is the repeater located are you sure your computer can get strong signal from the repeater. This is the largest issue with any repeater it must be placed so it gets good signal from the main router but can also transmit a strong signal the end pc. Many times in a house this can be almost impossible if you have a wall or ceiling absorbing huge amounts of signal.

Other than that you must look at the configuration. Many have options to transmit different SSID. Some repeaters will use one radio to talk to the main router and then only repeat on the other. So if it connects to the main router via 5g it only talks to clients with the 2.4g. This is why the high end mesh units have 3 radio chips one to take to the main router and the other 2 to talk to the end clients.

Solution

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

Other than that you must look at the configuration. Many have options to transmit different SSID. Some repeaters will use one radio to talk to the main router and then only repeat on the other. So if it connects to the main router via 5g it only talks to clients with the 2.4g. This is why the high end mesh units have 3 radio chips one to take to the main router and the other 2 to talk to the end clients.

The pc can only get the 2.4 network. My phone can show the 5ghz one no problem

I'm gonna assume that I need an adapter that supports 5ghz so I'm getting one and trying out again. Atleast this is only temporary till I can arrange a lan cable connecting from the modem all the way to the router

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Sometime I don't know if running ethernet cables is all that much harder than the complexity of getting other solutions to run. At least once ethernet is in you pretty much never need to touch it again.

Yeah that's very easy. I wish it could have been just that but sadly...that's easier said than done.

As for the situation, Yeah it turns out that the adapter made that 5ghz appear and I'm getting around 50-60 mbps for both 2.4 and 5ghz options. Decent for now. I'm sure if my base router can be moved a bit, the reception might be better.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020