Question Unable to enter BIOS on first boot GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX MB

Aug 31, 2024
Hello,

Putting together a new build on the bench (not in chassis).

CPU:Intel Core i7-14700K

CPU cooler:Noctua NH-D15S

Motherboard:GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (version 1.1 latest BIOS FJh)

Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200)

SSD/HDD:SAMSUNG 870 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77E1T0B/AM

GPU: Onboard

PSU:Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold

Chassis: Not in yet

Monitor: Dell 22" HDMI connected via HDMI for initial set up

Turned on PSU. Board initially lights up, CPU cooler fan spinning, RAM lights are glowing, keyboard via USB is does not display light activity, monitor is not getting signal. The board is getting power but cannot get to the next step of hitting DEL and entering the BIOS. CPU cables are secure from board to PSU, same with the board power cable.

I was then able to POST, then install Windows using one stick of memory in slot A2. All efforts to add the second stick to B2 and POST using dual channel default or attempted tweaking fail. Trying not to deal with returning this motherboard. Many seemed plagued but this issue but not seeing a clear cut resolution online.

Tried to search online and went through this handy checklist as well: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/ with the original first time boot and it was handy.

I see the board mentioned at reddit and many forums but resolution steps are generally not present. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Apologies if there is a lack of info. Up untl 4AM grinding away on it.

Dave