Question Unable to enter BIOS on first boot GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX MB

Aug 31, 2024
Hello,

Putting together a new build on the bench (not in chassis).

CPU:Intel Core i7-14700K

CPU cooler:Noctua NH-D15S

Motherboard:GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (version 1.1 latest BIOS FJh)

Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200)

SSD/HDD:SAMSUNG 870 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-77E1T0B/AM

GPU: Onboard

PSU:Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold

Chassis: Not in yet

Monitor: Dell 22" HDMI connected via HDMI for initial set up

Turned on PSU. Board initially lights up, CPU cooler fan spinning, RAM lights are glowing, keyboard via USB is does not display light activity, monitor is not getting signal. The board is getting power but cannot get to the next step of hitting DEL and entering the BIOS. CPU cables are secure from board to PSU, same with the board power cable.

I was then able to POST, then install Windows using one stick of memory in slot A2. All efforts to add the second stick to B2 and POST using dual channel default or attempted tweaking fail. Trying not to deal with returning this motherboard. Many seemed plagued but this issue but not seeing a clear cut resolution online.

Tried to search online and went through this handy checklist as well: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/ with the original first time boot and it was handy.

I see the board mentioned at reddit and many forums but resolution steps are generally not present. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Apologies if there is a lack of info. Up untl 4AM grinding away on it.

Dave

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
All efforts to add the second stick to B2 and POST using dual channel default or attempted tweaking fail.
But try to put your RAM into A1, B1 instead. Sure, it may not be as ideal as A2 and B2, but it could get you going with two sticks.

Also, have you tried the 2nd stick on it's own? To rule out RAM itself being the issue. E.g when 2nd stick doesn't work even on it's own, you know where the issue is. And replacing RAM is far easier than replacing MoBo.

PSU:Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200, 1200W 80+ Gold
Great PSU. (y) Nice to see someone buying proper PSU. (Most of the times, people like to cheap out on PSU.)

Reactions: DC42
Aug 31, 2024
Thanks for the replies. I was taught never to skimp on RAM or power and think my choices are good here. I am partial to G. Skill as have had good luck with them for many years. Same with Intel and Gigabytes as it is a loyalty thing with me as builds in the past have gone well and lasted a long time. My old workhorse is getting tired here and thought it was time to start getting a new PC together.

I tried A1 & B1 one no go with default settings. 2nd stick posts alone in A2. Interesting neither stick works stand alone in B2 (nor a part of a dual channel pair).

There is a fair amount of posting here and in other forums for this board and dual channel woes. Have a ticket in with G. Skill and Gigabyte to see if any words of wisdom can be shared. Need to spend more time with the BIOS as there is a lot to look at.

If all else fails will jump to different hardware and or AMD. Will give this a little time to play out but two compatible sticks should POST and boot in Windows with default settings. From there RAM could be under speed or need some tweaking but not with this build so far as I have the one stick blues.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
nor a part of a dual channel pair
While DDR4 (and older RAM before that) required two individual DIMMs in proper slots for dual-channel, this isn't so with DDR5. With DDR5, you get dual-channel even with 1x DIMM.

E.g DDR4 is built with one 64-bit channel in it. So, to get dual-channel, you have to use two DIMMs in proper slots.
DDR5 is built with two 32-bit channels in it. So, dual-channel is offered off the bat, with even single DIMM.

but two compatible sticks should POST and boot in Windows with default settings.
It should yes, but rarely, it doesn't.

Another option, to narrow down things, is to try completely different DDR5 set and look if it fares better. If it does, your MoBo has some beef with this specific G.Skill set. But if it results in same situation, where two new DIMMs doesn't make the PC to POST, then MoBo is the culprit.

Same with Intel and Gigabytes as it is a loyalty thing with me
Yeah, have seen brand loyalty before. I, personally, don't like Gigabyte nor suggest Gigabyte MoBos.
Mainly, because Gigabyte shenanigans with MoBo revisions.
Article if interested: https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...hing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far,3.html

And i've used Gigabyte products before. Namely one PC case from them, GZ-G2 Plus (specs). Does look fancy on the outside but inside is very restrictive. No thanks. There are better options from other brands. Did end up replacing that Gigabyte GZ-G2 Plus with Corsair 750D Airflow Edition (specs).

Reactions: DC42

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Had an MSI board on the shopping list the whole time and changed just before placing items in the cart.
Actually, i'm running MSI MoBos myself. Both the Skylake build and Haswell build (missus'es PC) are running MSI MoBo and GPU. Full specs with pics in my sig.

As far as MoBo brands go;
Gigabyte is known for it's shenanigans. Gigabyte to this very day, still releases their MoBo revisions.
EVGA is great but has almost stopped making MoBos now. There are few Intel chipsets from them though.
Asus is good, until you don't have to deal with their customer support. Asus customer support has fallen off the cliff as of late.
MSI, for me, has worked solidly for years (so, my personal preference is MSI).
AsRock offers mainly cheap MoBos, but there are good ones from them as well.
And NZXT also offers some, but limited options. NZXT MoBos are best suited to use with their cases, for aesthetic match.

Colorful - Chinese cheap brand, but very fancy looking MoBos. Best to be avoided.
ECS and Biostar - Used to be big players back in the day, but have fallen now.

Supermicro - Essentially only brand for server MoBos, if you want a good MoBo.