Question What is wrong with my PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 22, 2024
I'm having performance problems after my PC froze for the last time (it's happened to me several times) and I can't find what's wrong and I'm still not sure if it's a hardware or software problem.
To put them in context I have already carried out hundreds of tests and solutions (software) and nothing works, in another post they told me that it could be a disk problem since I have an HDD and with the freezing it could have been damaged but I think the problem comes from the power supply or the motherboard that does not supply enough energy to the components, an example of this is that the white LED above the 8-pin connector of the GPU does not turn on (it's been like this since before the problems) and the voltage that reaches the CPU is quite unstable.

What do you think could be the problem, hardware or software? I look forward to your responses, thank you.

Edit: I add to the problems others that I did not mention: The Ethernet port does not work, the CPU fan is always at maximum (I don't know if it was always like that) and there are times when the PC does not turn on with 2 RAM modules. Yes I know, my PC looks like a guy who suffers from anxiety lol.

Edit: I will leave images and videos to help with the diagnosis:

Last edited:
And what happens if I change the MoBo (and also the CPU) and the problem persists?
then you would still be that much closer to a decent system overall.

with a quality motherboard; RAM kits would run at advertised speeds, likely better PCIe gen support, and who knows what else this current generic crap motherboard may actually be holding back.
plus better CPU would allow more game data to be processed at quicker speeds.

that with an SSD for game installations would result in better performance in the majority of games.

the ROG Strix PSU series are actually some of the highest rated.
if it is still relatively new than i seriously doubt that would be an issue.

usually a simple system freeze, without hardware crash, points to an issue with the OS.
running a "recovery" option from within the OS usually will not repair any corruption. just set it back to an earlier period.
a complete fresh install would be the best option in this sort of case.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2024
then you would still be that much closer to a decent system overall.
Of course, I am aware that my PC is not recommended at all but the Xeon platform caught my attention, since very good PCs can be built with a lower budget, what's more, there is a brand of these boards (Huananzi) that does have an official website of software and driver downloads. The thing is that I went to the bottom of this Xeon world since I wanted a functional PC that would allow me to play and get out of trouble.
the ROG Strix PSU series are actually some of the highest rated.
if it is still relatively new than i seriously doubt that would be an issue.
The source is as old as the PC (3 years) and still has a warranty, I could take it to have it checked and they can tell me if it is failing.
a complete fresh install would be the best option in this sort of case.
I'm too lazy to do the installation from scratch, but hey, I'll have to do it. If it continues to fail after that I will have to shell out a few dollars.
In any case, I will update the PC when I have the possibilities, especially the NVMe storage since the poor HDD is not even close to this one.