[SOLVED] Unable to enter password at login screen if don't do so right away

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, my Windows PC is behaving strangely the past week. Usually when the login screen shows up, I just hit the Return key or click a mouse button and then enter the password to login to Windows 10. However, for the past week if I don't do so within a short period of time, pressing any key or mouse button does not allow me to enter the password. I have to force shut down Windows and reboot again. Anybody knows what is wrong and how do I fix this?

Solution
i wonder if its the same in safe mode

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

drivers shouldn't be loaded until you logon but maybe.

it shouldn't be a startup program as its before logon.

run a malware scan? Anti virus scan?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't find anything similar. Most problems related to delaying appear to be before entering password, in that it won't let them enter a password for a few seconds. Not what is happening here.

See if this helps

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

I find if I am not fast enough my monitor turns off. but it normally comes back again if i hit space bar.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
After the first command, Windows gave me:

Path:
Online: True
ImageHealthState: Healthy
RestartNeeded: False

After the second command, Windows gave:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wonder if its the same in safe mode

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

drivers shouldn't be loaded until you logon but maybe.

it shouldn't be a startup program as its before logon.

run a malware scan? Anti virus scan?

Reactions: modeonoff
Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thank you. After I executed the two commands you suggested in Post#2, I restarted Windows. A wallpaper showed up. As a test, I waited for five minutes before pressing the Return button. The white box to allow me to enter the password did not show up. Clicking mouse buttons did not help.

Then, I followed the steps in Post#4. This time, after seeing a human symbol (a circle on top of an inverted C), my userid and the message "Please wait for the User Profile Service" (which seemed to complete in a shorter period of time), the white box which allowed me to enter the password showed up by itself. Previously, I had to press the Return key or click a mouse button in a short period of time for it to show up. I logged in Windows successfully and the normal yellow cursor symbol appeared.

One thing I noticed is that I used a demo version of CursorFX to make the cursor bigger and fancier. However, the evaluation period has ended and I decided not to buy it until it is on Sale. When I restarted the PC, that bigger fancier cursor showed up. I also use Wallpaper Engine. Not sure if they are causing the problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wallpaper engine can't run on lock screen so I don't think it should be cause

what startup programs do you have? It could be a program that runs with windows maybe. I have my doubts as they shouldn't load until your user has.

Other option is its a driver causing normal start up to mess up.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Can you take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

not sure what I am looking for really but its worth a try.

Reactions: modeonoff

Colif

Win 11 Master
Startup apps shouldn't be running before you logon... they should load after the password is entered... what if you have 2 users, how does it know which you were going to logon as?

There is one possibility.
Try turning this off and see if it changes anything - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

as if you have it on, it saves the status of all open apps at shutdown so when you start PC they loaded already, so it could be why the startup programs are conflicting

If you have an ssd you don't need fast startup.