[SOLVED] Unable to Format after Diskpart Clean

Feb 14, 2021
Hi all,

My first post here....be gentle!

I have a problem with a HP Stream 13.
I replaced the battery as the old one wouldn't hold charge. The new battery is fine but I now have an issue with the onboard ssd.
After replacing the battery, the laptop wouldn't boot into windows. I was able to recover the data but then was not able to repair the win10 install as this laptop didn't have or couldn't find its recovery partition.

I then booted of the win10 installation media and attempted to repair the installation , still no joy. I then decided that a fresh install would be the way to go so tried to delete the partitions and allow the installation media to recreate them. I was unable to delete the partitions.

I have tried using diskpart to clean the disk and it says that it has been successful but it will not then let me create a primary partition due to lack of space, so cannot format the disk.
Diskpart says there is no volume available.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

HP Stream 13

Solution
It shows the disk on the first picture I've placed in the shared album. Hynix HCG8e. 64gb ssd.
Its hard wired to the mobo hence why I'm not just able to replace it.
I'm not interested in data recovery, just want to see if its possible to repair and reformat it so I can reinstall the os.

The Windows setup shows that it can't read the disk properly, look at the size of the disk there vs what the disk actually is.

It seems you are using an HP Stream system, those were pretty bad devices, they put way too small of a disk for them and low specs to make them cheap, which caused issues with drive reliability and also even things like Windows updates that ran out of space to run.

Best thing here is to cut your loses with that...
D

Deleted member 14196

You don’t need to use any tools the windows installer can do it for you. You choose advanced install And then click the button to delete all the partitions and let windows do it all for you

If that doesn’t work then your drive has failed

Feb 14, 2021
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have put a link to another picture re the greyed out buttons but yes as Mandark said, the windows options are not available, just Delete. This doesn't delete anything though.

HP Stream 13

I will have a look at CDI.
I did try using Testdisk to see if I could progress further with that. I took some pictures of what I get when checking the drive. It seems to get stuck at 99%. I guess this suggests there are bad sectors at the end of the disk?

Any other suggestions on this would be most appreciated.

Feb 14, 2021
It shows the disk on the first picture I've placed in the shared album. Hynix HCG8e. 64gb ssd.
I'm not interested in data recovery, just want to see if its possible to repair and reformat it so I can reinstall the os.

The Windows setup shows that it can't read the disk properly, look at the size of the disk there vs what the disk actually is.

It seems you are using an HP Stream system, those were pretty bad devices, they put way too small of a disk for them and low specs to make them cheap, which caused issues with drive reliability and also even things like Windows updates that ran out of space to run.

Best thing here is to cut your loses with that system and swap to a normal laptop. Even a used one several years old you can get for like $150 or 200 will be better.

Solution