Unable to format Hard Disk Partition

yagyesh

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I have few Desktop Computers in our office running Windows XP SP3, in which I am not able to format a partition of the same disk on which Windows XP is also installed on the partition.

Notes:-
1. The computers are Lenovo ThinkCentre machines, M/T: 8985-A23, and out of warranty.
2. I have partitioned, and then formatted them newly.
3. In total, I created 2 partitions while installing XP on them (20GB, and 55GB).
4. Then I installed XP on the 20GB partition formatting it with the NTFS file system.
5. All the computers are running updated Symantec EndPoint Protection anti-virus.

Problem: I am not able to format the 55GB partition.

1. While trying to format the partition from "Disk Management" under "Computer Management," I get the following message,
"The volume (D:) Logical drive is currenly in use. To force the format of this volume, click Yes.
Warning: Forcing a format might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this volume. Do you want to continue?"
2. Upon choosing 'Yes' for the above, I get the following message from the 'Logical Disk Manager',
"The request cannot be completed because the volume is open or in use."
3. If I open the Explorer Window, and double click the D: volume, I get the following message:-
"D:\ is not accessible.
The parameter is incorrect."

What I have tried:-
1. I used "Sysinternals Process Explorer" to see which process is using the partition "D:/". But strangely, there was none!
2. CHKDSK D: /F /R /X
The message returned by the command is:-
"The tpe of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."
3. I ran the XP Setup, and deleted the 55GB partition, and recreated it.
But it didn't help.

Requests:-
1. Could you please help in solving the problem?
2. Could you suggest the reason for the problem?
3. Is there any other way than the "Sysinternals Process Explorer" to see which process is using the partition as suggested by the messages from the operating system?

Many thanks in advance for your precious time, and help!
Regards,
Yagyesh

The partition table may be bad.

Go here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
and download a free utility called TestDisk (I downloaded the latest NON-beta version). It's a zipped file, just extract all files to a folder of your choice leaving the option "Use folder names" checked. Then, go to the folder where you unzipped the files, go to the Win folder, and run the testdisk-win.exe file. It runs in a DOS window, even though it says it's a Windows app, but it doesn't really matter at all.
So, start the app (you must run it with administrator privileges), wait for it to recognize all the drives, it will take 5-15 seconds. Choose the drive. Confirm Intel/PC partition. Analyse it. Proceed. Enter to continue. Write on the next menu. Confirm. Quit the app. Reboot your pc.

Also run manufacturer hard disk diagnostics.

yagyesh

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks a lot for your reply evongugg! I appreciate your time and advice.
I posted this question in 1 other forum, where I was sugested to: delete and recreate the partition from the Disk Management; and it worked for my problem. After that I was able to format the 55GB partition.
But through you I got to know of this very useful utility - TestDisk which I think would be of great use in my job.
Thank you very much!
Regards,
Yagyesh

newatthis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

evongugg,

Thanks for the help. I did run the testdisk analysis and it found bad sectors on the drive. I have a 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda. The analysis ran until approx 137000+ and it ran into an error. This is a new drive so could this be fixed or should I return and have them send me a new one.

Again, thanks for getting me this far.

Saadi2038

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

please will you tell me the way how to delete and recreate the partition from the Disk Management???