Question Unable to get new PC to post after 8 months of light non-problematic use.

Dec 2, 2022
Hi all,

I recently finished building my PC and for the last 8 months it was working perfectly fine. Last weekend I shut it down for the night and in the morning I woke up and it booted into a blue screen. It was rebooting about 10-20 times into blue screen with error code 0xc0000045. After the boot cycling, it booted into auto repair and would stay hung up on that screen for a while until I hard shutdown the system. The last time I got it into the auto repair load I let it sit for 1.5 hours before shutting down.

After booting it back up after the last shut down, the motherboard was giving me a VGA white light error. I started taking components out of the PC and tried 1 RAM stick but still getting the VGA light. I was unable to get it to boot to bios and it would stay on a black screen with the VGA light. I was able to get to bios once in this process and the bios screen image was double with the 2 images slightly off of one another, like double vision. I proceeded to remove all components and set up a test bench with the motherboard outside of the PC. After removing all components but the CPU and 1 ram stick, I got the red CPU light on the motherboard and it would stay on a black screen. I removed the CPU to check the pins and the CPU visually looks perfect, no scuffs and no bent pins. I re inserted the CPU and cooler and tried to boot with every ram stick in every slot but I could not get passed the CPU red light and the black screen. Last thing I tried was shorting the CMOS but that also did not work.

My thinking is that the PSU is bad, I have another one coming in the mail I got on a black Friday deal. The new PSU is the CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply. I also got new CR2032 batteries to put in the CMOS spot to see if that might be the issue as well. If the new CMOS battery and PSU do not fix the issue my next thought is replacing the motherboard, any recommendations for a new motherboard would be appreciated. Unfortunately, if the new motherboard does not fix the issue I'm afraid the CPU might be fried, but I would be very confused as I have yet to put the PC under any load or overclock and the CPU is so new.

Any thoughts on this issue/ my troubleshooting so far would be awesome. This is really frustrating to me as the PC is so new and was working perfectly up until now for about 8 months.

Thanks! The PC specs are below:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix Liquid CPU Cooler - White
Motherboard: Asus AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard With PCIe 4.0, Dual M.2, 12+2 With Dr. MOS power stage, USB 3.2 Gen 2 And Aura Sync RGB lighting
PSU: Enermax Revolution D.F 850W 80+ Gold Certified Power Supply; ERF850EWT
GPU: Geforce RTX 3080ti EVGA
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C)
HHD: Western Digital 1TB Blue sata 6Gb/s WD10EZEX
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White Airflow ATX Mid-Tower with Polygonal Mesh Front Panel, Crystalline Tempered Glass, E-ATX up to 10.5", Three 1

Dec 2, 2022
The PSU is not my first suspect. The motherboard is.
Thanks for the reply, definitely something I've been suspecting. Would you happen to know a reason why it would just stop working? I'm waiting on new parts to arrive so just brainstorming if it's something I did to not repeat it.