[SOLVED] Unable to hibernate any more

techguy817

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
Hi all,

Recently I have not been able to hibernate my PC. I will select the hibernate option and sometimes it powers down and sometimes is restarts. Even when it seems to power down properly it comes back up restarted and I have the error "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC000000F." in the System log. Here are some specs and what I've done so far:

ASRock Taichi X399 Mainboard
Threadripper 1950X CPU @ 3.4Ghz
32GB RAM
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M2 boot drive
Seagate 10TB SATA backup drive

• Updated all drivers
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated Windows
  • Ran chkdsk

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
although you said you updated all the drivers, often sleep/hibernate problems caused by old drivers

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have...

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

techguy817

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
Thanks Colif. I did "SFC /scannow" and it said it didn't find any integrity violations so I assume that didn't do too much. Ran the second statement and it came back with this so not sure what was done there either:

Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Will continue to test hibernate function and see if it works or not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
although you said you updated all the drivers, often sleep/hibernate problems caused by old drivers

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

you can't move the location of the hibernation file - https://superuser.com/questions/402...there's no way to,have to handle the Pagefile.

If hibernation is so bad for ssd, windows 10 should really also auto disabled fast startup on any system with solid state storage as it too uses hiberfil.sys. They don't need it anyway, its really more for people with hdd (fast startup I mean)

Solution
If the purpose of hibernating is so you can "shut down" the computer but resume what you were doing, then I would argue to use sleep instead. If you're concerned about slightly increased power usage, sleep typically uses only a handful of watts. Even if you were to leave the computer sleeping 16 hours a day, this will cost you a grand total of $3.50 a year if going by average electricity rates in the US.

techguy817

Honorable
Apr 2, 2018
@Colif Cool little utility. I ran it and here are the results for non-MS drivers.

Suggestions welcomed on what to update/remove. Looks like there is an older Synology driver that I could probably remove.

@hotaru.hino You make a good point. Maybe I'm just a creature of habit. I've always used hibernate over sleep not just for the power savings but also to extend the life of my equipment. Working from home my system is on about 10+ hours a day during the week but rarely during the weekend. When I finish on Friday it would be nice to hibernate with most apps available come Monday. I have a UPS so no issue with power failures.

@hotaru.hino You make a good point. Maybe I'm just a creature of habit. I've always used hibernate over sleep not just for the power savings but also to extend the life of my equipment. Working from home my system is on about 10+ hours a day during the week but rarely during the weekend. When I finish on Friday it would be nice to hibernate with most apps available come Monday. I have a UPS so no issue with power failures.
Sleep shuts down everything except RAM, so that would be the only thing that gets used over time. And even then, it's only to keep the contents refreshed.