Question Unable to Install Win8.1 or 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2020
I tried to perform a fresh install of Windows after system crashed a few days ago and it went to the Windows recovery page. It was running for a few years and I thought I would take the opportunity to perform a clean install (bad idea). Looking for some suggestions on what else I can do here since I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I am definitely leaning toward some sort of issue with SSD controller since a new SSD was not even recognized by the BIOS. Any other suggestions before I go out and buy a new mobo?

Current Setup
  • ASRock X97 Extreme3 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
  • Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 88W BX80646I5469K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
  • Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s 1x nm Samsung Toggle DDR 2.0 3-Bit MLC NAND Flash Memory (400Mbps) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 220-G3-0650-Y1, 80+ GOLD, 650W Fully Modular, Power Supply
Testing Performed/Various Steps Taken
  • memtest86 - no errors
  • Prime95 torture test - no failures after a few hours
  • smartctl extensive - no errors
  • changed SATA ports on mobo
  • changed SATA 3 cable
  • full SSD format with with parted magic all zeroes
  • zeroed beginning of drive with parted magic
    • "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1"
  • disabled Execute Disable Bit
  • removed memory stick 1
  • removed memory stick 2
  • installed new SSD (PNY CS900 SSD 120 GB 2.5" SATA | 6Gb/s) - was not recognized
    • flashed BIOS to 2.1
    • toggled SATA disabled/enabled
    • provisioned SATA port to SSD
    • toggled SATA mode selection to IDE from AHCI
  • tried 3 different USB drives with 16G storage
    • prior to each install delete all partitioned space and perform install
    • imaged Win8.1 with download from Microsoft's page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO) and created image using Windows USB/DVD Download tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485)
      • gets to "finishing up" before failing
      • "setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file"
      • downloaded multiple different images
    • imaged Win10 x64 using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool
      • downloaded multiple different images
      • gets to 70 - 90% complete and fails
      • "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800701E3"
        • ran "sfc /scannow"
          • "verification 100% complete
          • Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."
          • all information points to booting in safe mode to correct but not possible in current state
        • ran "chkdsk /f e:"
          • Windows found no problems on all 3 stages
        • ran "chkdks /f c:"
          • Windows found no problems on all 3 stages
      • confirmed secure boot is "Disabled"
    • imaged Win8.1 x64 using rufus
      • booted to black screen
    • imaged Win10 x64 using rufus
      • booted to black screen
    • created partition of 128G and performed install

Ralston18

Titan
Okay.

If you can hold off a couple of days there may be additional responses based on your original post and the update regarding the clean install attempt.

However reading back (if I followed correctly) 128 GB is not really enough for a boot drive. Just an interim thought.

Jul 22, 2020
Okay.

If you can hold off a couple of days there may be additional responses based on your original post and the update regarding the clean install attempt.

However reading back (if I followed correctly) 128 GB is not really enough for a boot drive. Just an interim thought.

The 128GB partition was just one off attempt... every other time was the full 256GB.

Thanks, I'll check back periodically.

Jul 22, 2020
This is wrong. Put it back.

All of the listed actions performed were tried and reset back to original build. This is not how the device is currently configured.

See you talk about "Rufus" did you really use their own creation tool to make the usb stick?
Made sure you chose the right version of windows? Either home or pro etc ....

Yes, I attempted rufus as a suggestion but it did not work - the other 20 attempts were with the standard Windows installer.

Also, I am using Home edition each time.

I am definitely leaning toward some sort of issue with SSD controller since a new SSD was not even recognized by the BIOS.
  • Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s
  • installed new SSD (PNY CS900 SSD 120 GB 2.5" SATA | 6Gb/s) - was not recognized
If sata SSD is not recognized in BIOS, then either
SSD is dead/failed,​
SSD is improperly connected/bad cables,​
SATA port, where SSD is connected, is disabled (with options in BIOS or by M.2 drive) or​
you're looking in wrong place in BIOS.​
Am I understanding this right? Drive is not being detected in BIOS, but, when installing windows, it is available?

Jul 22, 2020
If sata SSD is not recognized in BIOS, then either
SSD is dead/failed,​
SSD is improperly connected/bad cables,​
SATA port, where SSD is connected, is disabled (with options in BIOS or by M.2 drive) or​
you're looking in wrong place in BIOS.​
Am I understanding this right? Drive is not being detected in BIOS, but, when installing windows, it is available?

The original Samsung is recognized in the BIOS and during install.

The PNY SSD that I purchased does not show up in the BIOS or during the install process.

I have tried multiple SATA cables and different ports on the board but it will not show up. I can see the Samsung in the BIOS when I boot with that so I am certain I am checking the correct settings in the BIOS.

It would not be the first time I had a piece of hardware be DOA but I need an adapter to test it on my laptop or go buy another SSD to know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.