[SOLVED] Unable to install Windows 10 - BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
I have a PC I built a couple of years ago and decided to finally switch to windows 10. I used the official tool to make a bootable usb drive and began installing it when the installation suddenly froze, no hdd activity and then I got a bsod without an error code.

I tried switching RAM sticks - no difference.
I tried switching USB drives, used Rufus and another windows 10 version - nothing.
The few times the installation finished, It froze again on the initial setup while windows was getting devices ready. I even tried installing windows 7 again but had the same problem.
I checked HDD with Crystal Disk Info and it said HDD was okay. I tried plugging HDD into different port and with a different cable, but the results were the same. I was able to plug another hdd with windows 10 on it and the PC booted without any problems and ran without a hitch the whole day. While I was using the other HDD's OS I was able to copy files between my original HDD without any problems. I suspect the motherboard but I simply can't afford a new mobo atm. I just want to find a way to install Windows 10 and use it. I had a plan of using a laptop to install the OS on the HDD and then plug it back into the PC but the laptop's sata connectors are joined and I need to power the HDD through the PC to get enough power for it.

Specs:
ASRock FM2A78M Pro4+
AMD A10-7870K Turbo Boosted to 4.1GHz
nVidia GTX 1050ti
2x8 DDR3 1600MHz
2x4 DDR3 1600MHz
(Both work in dual channel and I tried using each of the two kits separately)
PSU 450W I don't remember the brand
HDD 1TB Seagate BarraCuda 7200rpm

Solution
no lan cards in pc?
nothing else in PC you haven't mentioned?

memory passes.
same error on 2 PSU (it might not be complete waste of money if those voltages were believable before, PSU may have taken something with it and its why it won't work still)
HDD seems to work
have you tried installing without GPU in PC? Its a long shot, I don't think its GPU but never know.

Have you tried using another USB drive as it could be the USB stick you are installing off

I would get PC looked at by a shop, as the items left we haven't tested are hard to test.. or if its motherboard, there are no tests. Only way you can tell its the motherboard is by making sure everything else works.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
tried running a ubuntu live usb and see what happens?

try running prime 95 bootable
Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 How to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html
As I was able to boot the PC through another hdd does that mean that I could run prime 95 through windows? Also if I do that would it be a problem if I use the PC while the test is going on?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was able to plug another hdd with windows 10 on it and the PC booted without any problems and ran without a hitch the whole day.
i had missed that detail

I don't think PC would be much good if you try to do too much while running Prime as it stresses PC
non bootable version - All - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

i assume you on bios 2.4 since there is only one.

which ram was original? did you try the 2x4gb instead??

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
i had missed that detail

I don't think PC would be much good if you try to do too much while running Prime as it stresses PC
non bootable version - All - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

i assume you on bios 2.4 since there is only one.

which ram was original? did you try the 2x4gb instead??
Original RAM was 2x4. I tried both sets of sticks separately and combined but I still got stuck on the installation.

I updated my bios version several years ago because otherwise I got BSOD constantly, but after that I haven't had any problems with the PC - it's a good and reliable PC.

I thought using the PC while running the stress test might stress it even more and I have no choice as I have to work on it.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
This might simply be an issue with booting from the USB drive in "UEFI" vs "Legacy" mode.

Have a look at the boot options, do you see the USB drive listed twice, one with UEFI mentioned.?

Try booting from that.

WARNING, do NOT try and boot from the Hard Drive in UEFI mode unless this is already the default option (check this before making any changes), this can wreck Windows and can be a PITA to fix.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
This might simply be an issue with booting from the USB drive in "UEFI" vs "Legacy" mode.

Have a look at the boot options, do you see the USB drive listed twice, one with UEFI mentioned.?

Try booting from that.

WARNING, do NOT try and boot from the Hard Drive in UEFI mode unless this is already the default option (check this before making any changes), this can wreck Windows and can be a PITA to fix.
I have enabled legacy usb support and choose the USB option for my USB drive. I tried making a UEFI bootable usb but when I booted it with UEFI all I saw was the ASRock logo and nothing else.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
I have enabled legacy usb support and choose the USB option for my USB drive. I tried making a UEFI bootable usb but when I booted it with UEFI all I saw was the ASRock logo and nothing else.
Okay, I was able to boot the USB in UEFI mode but I can't install Windows on the HDD because "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." Does that mean that if I convert the disk to GPT I will be able to install Windows without getting stuck?

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
OK, now we are getting somewhere, this is IMHO most likely a UEFI boot issue, if it fails to boot from a UEFI USB drive that could be where your problem lies.

I suggest updating your BIOS. If it is really out of date you may have to update more than once in a certain order, this will be listed with instructions on the manufacturers website.

Once you have done that, try again in UEFI mode (disable the legacy option), if that does not work, disconnect all drives (optical included) except for the drive you are trying to install Windows onto and try that.

Good luck.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Okay, I was able to boot the USB in UEFI mode but I can't install Windows on the HDD because "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." Does that mean that if I convert the disk to GPT I will be able to install Windows without getting stuck?
Yes.

This was common back in the day when your system (and older) were made, the transition to UEFI booting was quite painful at times.

Try changing the drive into a GPT drive before touching my previous post.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
Another lead.
I installed windows 10 successfully and booted without any problems on my hdd but through another PC.

But then when I transfered the HDD back into my PC and booted I got another BSOD with a stop code of DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION.

This happens everytime I boot, when windows loads the desktop.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
Okay, what I haven't noticed is that when I try to install Windows 10 I get the same stop code: DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. This time when I booted the PC through my HDD with the windows installed through another PC I got another stop code: CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
I ran system check in safe mode and it found some corrupted files and repaired them but windows still freezes on boot with either one of those two stop codes. I am able to use the PC in safe mode without any errors still.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The answer to this error is simple but Microsoft can't speak English. Answer is delete all the partitions and click next. if that is all that stops you installing on hdd, I would do it.

100mb partition = could be the boot partition (marked System) its needed to let windows start.

Danogot516

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
Okay, so I after everything that happened, me being able to install and boot without a hitch on another PC but then have the same problem on my PC I thought it could be a bad SATA controller, so I bought a PCIe card with SATA ports and tried to boot from it. Still have the same problem - installation freezes or boot freezes. I don't know what to do anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.