unable to install windows 10

elimynx

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018
i made a bootable usb of windows 10 with windows media creation tool on a windows 10 vmware because it would not let me do it on my normal windows. when i try to boot into windwos installer from the usb, i get a black screen with a dash in the top left corner. when i try restoring windows it does not let me click the button and i also cant restore any other way. i am also unable to boot into advanced options. i am on a dell xps 8910 pc. i really need help with this. thanks!

Solution
If it works in other PCs but not yours then that is defiantly a BIOS configuration issue. I'd comb through the settings trying to find the one stopping the USB drive from booting. Secure boot and legacy compatibility are the most common causes. Also if the USB drive is written in UEFI/GPT then if the PC boots to it in MBR mode it won't work. If it's UEFI Windows 10 install USB (most should be these days) I would disable legacy support and try booting directly to the USB drive. Select it from boot devices if your motherboard supports direct booting.

elimynx

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from elimynx : "unable to install windwos 10"

i made a bootable usb of windows 10 with windows media creation tool on a windows 10 vmware because it would not let me do it on my normal windows. when i try to boot into windwos installer from the usb, i get a black screen with a dash in the top left corner. when i try restoring windows it does not let me click the button and i also cant restore any other way. i am also unable to boot into advanced options. i am on a dell xps 8910 pc. i really need help with this. thanks!

elimynx

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018

i do not have an actual error code when doing this. it is just a black screen like before. i also have always has secrue boot off because i use to have a hackintosh build

jr9

Estimable
I would try the USB on another machine to see if it works. That would save you a lot of time trying to figure out if the USB or the PC is the issue.

Make sure the USB drive is set to #1 in boot priority in BIOS settings. I would also try manually selecting it from Boot Menu, if your motherboard has this feature.

elimynx

Reputable
Feb 25, 2018

the usb works on other computers except for mine. when i try booting into the usb i get a black screen with a dash " _ "
that looks like that which flashes in the top left corner

jr9

Estimable
If it works in other PCs but not yours then that is defiantly a BIOS configuration issue. I'd comb through the settings trying to find the one stopping the USB drive from booting. Secure boot and legacy compatibility are the most common causes. Also if the USB drive is written in UEFI/GPT then if the PC boots to it in MBR mode it won't work. If it's UEFI Windows 10 install USB (most should be these days) I would disable legacy support and try booting directly to the USB drive. Select it from boot devices if your motherboard supports direct booting.

Solution