Unable to install Windows 7 on desktop using USB

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I made my pendrive bootable using my Windows 7 iso using Rufus utility on my laptop. I connected the pendrive back in to laptop; rebooted it; selected pen drive as the first boot device; it worked fine as Windows setup started;

Now when I do the same thing on my desktop it is not working. My desktop has currently has Windows 10 installed.

When I boot into the system by selected the pendrive as 1st device; it say " Please press any key to boot from USB" when I do this nothing happens and Windows 10 boots up.
I Googled on this, the issue came up with UEFI -CSM boot modes. I tinkered with them too in the BIOS, but it didn't work out.

Gigabyte motherboard / Windows 10 / Intel Core i3

let me know if u need any more info.

Solution
It should work. I'm wondering if something in the way RUFUS formatted the USB stick has something to do with it. You could try another tool - YUMI. It's nice for creating multiboot drives for installations and tools and such - I have one with Linux/Win7-64/clonezilla/gparted and it's amazingly useful (and it works).

rgd1101

Don't

mobo brand don't help much, need to know the exact model

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
There could be some UEFI and secure boot modes and such enabled in the BIOS. I recently ran into some of those very same issues fixing my sisters laptop. It came installed with Win10, and even after removing the hard drive completely, when I tried to install W7-64 (which I had). The big issue was with not recognizing the sata drive (no drivers loaded), but I -did- get it to boot.

What you need to do:

1) disable secure boot.
2) enable legacy mode.
3) change the primary boot as 'USB-HDD'
4) change the primary HDD as the USB stick

More specific instructions would be possible with more information - what is the motherboard model?

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

Manufacturer : Gigabyte Technology
Product : H61M-S1

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I tried
1) disable secure boot.
2) enable legacy mode.
but it didn't work

I will try this ( i.e. All 4 steps together)
3) change the primary boot as 'USB-HDD'
4) change the primary HDD as the USB stick

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
You could also do this: Reset everything to default. Shut down the computer. Put the USB stick into the appropriate slot. Power up the computer and get into the BIOS. Go to the section 'Save and Exit', go down, select 'Boot Override', see if your USB stick is in there, select the USB stick. This will attempt to boot from the USB drive right away.

(this is right from the manual for your mobo)

madthomas

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I tried this, it didnt work

"Press any key to boot from USB " shows up and when I press keys nothing happens and Windows 10 started.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
It should work. I'm wondering if something in the way RUFUS formatted the USB stick has something to do with it. You could try another tool - YUMI. It's nice for creating multiboot drives for installations and tools and such - I have one with Linux/Win7-64/clonezilla/gparted and it's amazingly useful (and it works).

Solution