[SOLVED] Unable to install windows on new pc

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I just built a new pc, I downloaded and installed windows on a usb, I’ve done it a couple times before on the same usb. The main drive (M.2) didn’t show up in the BIOS, if that’s relevant, but when I went to install windows the drive was an option. It started installing and then I got the windows blue screen of death, it restarted and it got this error message:

“The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows instillation cannot proceed. To install windows click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the instillation.”

I did, but I got the same error. I kept restarting, even shut it down, but it’s all the same error. I just turned it off and now I’m downloading windows onto the usb again. I have really slow internet so it will take a while. Is there a fix to this? Will it happen again when I try? What happened?

Solution
Yes! I actually got it to boot up! It took some digging, but
View: https://youtu.be/g0jt1VtN5DA
fixed it!

I say fixed, but some things are... off?
Like how my graphics card (3080) doesn’t show up in task manager, and my 165hz monitor is capped at 64hz in windows settings. I’m updating all the drivers rn so that may fix, but like I said I have pretty slow internet so 🤷‍♂️.

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
Try to go into the BIOS settings of ur PC and check there if the m.2 ssd is getting detected. If it is, try to install it into another PC and format it there, then reinstall it in ur build.
This is my suggestion, if u cannot idk what u can do then

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Try to go into the BIOS settings of ur PC and check there if the m.2 ssd is getting detected. If it is, try to install it into another PC and format it there, then reinstall it in ur build.
This is my suggestion, if u cannot idk what u can do then
The SSD does not show up in the BIOS. It shows up in the windows installation though.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
1st - disable any and all overclocking (cpu, ram).
2nd - update motherboard BIOS to latest non-beta version.
this totally means that ur bios settings are glitched. what SkyNet told is very true.... Degrade your bios to the latest WHQL edition
Then see if the ssd gets detected
I can’t update the motherboard if I can’t get to the desktop. I have an ASUS x570 TUF GAMING PLUS and it doesn’t have a BIOS flashback feature either.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So the drive is appearing in the BIOS now, but as “Windows Boot Drive”. I installed windows and there were 3 drives to choose from, two were just a few MB, I assume they were left over from the other windows install. When I install it same story, but now it makes me choose which version of windows to run before giving me the error. They are both exactly the same though...

I can’t update the motherboard if I can’t get to the desktop. I have an ASUS x570 TUF GAMING PLUS and it doesn’t have a BIOS flashback feature either.
Read user manual on how to update BIOS.
EZ Flash 3 method doesn't require windows.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Read user manual on how to update BIOS.
EZ Flash 3 method doesn't require windows.

Oh, it does have a flashback feature? Great! I’ll look into that when I’m done working. After the BIOS is updated would I need to install windows again, or what will happen if I boot up with an “incomplete instillation of windows”?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
BIOS Flashback is completely different thing. It allows updating BIOS even without cpu or ram installed.

Since you haven't finished installing windows, then obviously you'll have to finish installing it.
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Ok, thanks! I only have one drive, the M.2. I assume the usb or temporary drives created when installing windows doesn’t count.

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
So the drive is appearing in the BIOS now, but as “Windows Boot Drive”. I installed windows and there were 3 drives to choose from, two were just a few MB, I assume they were left over from the other windows install. When I install it same story, but now it makes me choose which version of windows to run before giving me the error. They are both exactly the same though...
Those MB drive partitions are made by windows to properly work, without it your pc wont even boot up. I did reset those to my drive and had to reset my windows once again( day before reseted) so then it showed up again.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows. Plus flash drive containing windows install media.
No other usb or temporary drives (whatever that means).
Those MB drive partitions are made by windows to properly work, without it your pc wont even boot up. I did reset those to my drive and had to reset my windows once again( day before reseted) so then it showed up again.
Those need to be disconnected as well.

One and only one drive connected...the one you want the OS on.
Ok, thanks for your responses. I got out the manual and I believe I have updated the bios to it’s latest version through the flash feature. The M.2 is showing up in the BIOS, and it’s the only drive I have connected to my pc, other than the usb with windows on it.

I booted up with the usb and installed windows again, and lo and behold I got another blue screen. “Windows ram into a problem”. It restarted and I had 3 different windows installed, I didn’t know which one was the latest so I restarted with each one, all of them had the same error.

I tried one more time, when the drives came up to choose which one I install windows too I deleted the one I could delete, and formatted the other two, including the M.2, I think that erased the Windows installs. I tried installing it again, AND ANOTHER BLUE SCREEN! When it restarted it didn’t ask me which windows I wanted to boot up with so I think I successfully removed the “dead” installs.

I updated the BIOS, what else can I do? I’m getting pretty frustrated.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Is there a way I can just reset everything? It’s a new system, this shouldn’t be happening, right? If it’s the BIOS can’t I just make it go back, or would that keep the “glitch”? It’s a pretty expensive system and I don’t want it to die, I also need it for work as well as gaming.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
fixed it!

Like how my graphics card (3080) doesn’t show up in task manager, and my 165hz monitor is capped at 64hz in windows settings. I’m updating all the drivers rn so that may fix, but like I said I have pretty slow internet so 🤷‍♂️.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
fixed it!

All fixed! I’ll keep downloading, but it all looks good. Thanks y’all!