Question Unable to launch Windows after building new PC

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
After 6 years I finally decided to re-build my PC. I decided to only keep my GTX 970, my Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, my 2 HDD's (WD Desktop Black 2TB x 2) aswell as my 850W PSU, which I had confirmed COULD be used in my new PC. All the other parts are completely new directly ordered from the best hardware provider in my country.

For my new PC I went for:
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon, S-1151
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (2x8)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB {FROM OLD PC}
HDD: WD Desktop Black 2TB {FROM OLD PC}
HDD: WD Desktop Black 2TB {FROM OLD PC}
GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 970 4GB {FROM OLD PC}
PSU: XFX Proseries XXX Edition 850W PSU {FROM OLD PC}

The only problem that occured during the build was that we found out the power cable to the Water Pump to the CPU Cooler was torn. Let me remind you that the CPU Cooler among many other things in this PC came directly from the hardware provider. Thus I filed a complaint, waited 4-5 days until I recieved my new one. After that there were no more problems.

Now, I aleredy had Windows 10 installed on my SSD from my old PC, and went for a normal boot. I went into BIOS to make sure everything was at place, and it was. After I was done with BIOS I saved and exited, the PC booted and it went into the Windows Loading Screen. That's where the problems began.
About 4-5 seconds into the loading screen it would freeze, and nothing more happened. I could wait 10 minutes and it would still be the same. I tried getting into safe mode, and it almost go to the faze, but it freezed again at the "Repairing" loading screen.

I tried to only use one RAM stick, not a difference, I tried using RAID mode (which actually removed the freezing screen), but the loading screen would just keep on loading forever. I've tried everything in my own power. I've also tried consulting the manual for anything that I missed out on. Nothing.

Please help :(

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And you're trying to re-use your already installed Win 10 because?

Here, clean Win 10 install is best option since what you have with your current Win 10 is different MoBo drivers in it + Win activation key that is tied to different set of hardware (your old setup). Hence why it doesn't work.

Fix: unplug all other drives except OS drive, format the OS drive, install Win 10, once in OS, install MoBo drivers, then GPU drivers. After that you should be fine software wise and re-plug your other storage drives to MoBo.

USAFRet

Titan
Now, I aleredy had Windows 10 installed on my SSD from my old PC, and went for a normal boot. I went into BIOS to make sure everything was at place, and it was. After I was done with BIOS I saved and exited, the PC booted and it went into the Windows Loading Screen. That's where the problems began.
About 4-5 seconds into the loading screen it would freeze, and nothing more happened. I could wait 10 minutes and it would still be the same. I tried getting into safe mode, and it almost go to the faze, but it freezed again at the "Repairing" loading screen.
Yes, it often happens exactly like this. Trying to use an OS from one system in a whole different set of parts.

You need a full wipe and reinstall of a clean OS.

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
And you're trying to re-use your already installed Win 10 because?

Here, clean Win 10 install is best option since what you have with your current Win 10 is different MoBo drivers in it + Win activation key that is tied to different set of hardware (your old setup). Hence why it doesn't work.

Fix: unplug all other drives except OS drive, format the OS drive, install Win 10, once in OS, install MoBo drivers, then GPU drivers. After that you should be fine software wise and re-plug your other storage drives to MoBo.
Hey thanks for the answer. But how do I format my OS drive when I can't even properly launch windows? Do I have to use the SSD (OS Drive) on a different computer and transfer windows to a flash drive?

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Yes, it often happens exactly like this. Trying to use an OS from one system in a whole different set of parts.

You need a full wipe and reinstall of a clean OS.
How can I do that when I can't even launch windows. I remember doing the same before when I bought my SSD, but can't remember how.

USAFRet

Titan
How can I do that when I can't even launch windows. I remember doing the same before when I bought my SSD, but can't remember how.
From some other working system, you create a bootable USB.
Boot from that, and install the OS. Deleting all existing partitions and data on the drive as you do this.

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
From some other working system, you create a bootable USB.
Boot from that, and install the OS. Deleting all existing partitions and data on the drive as you do this.

Ok. However, my old PC came with a Windows 7 Product key, does this mater when formatting the ssd again?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. However, my old PC came with a Windows 7 Product key, does this mater when formatting the ssd again?
So, you upgraded from Win 7 to 10?
Is your existing Windows license linked to a Microsoft account? Let's hope so.

Create the bootable USB.
Build your new system.
Boot from that USB and install the OS. Link above, and READ it a couple of times to get familiar with the process.

Then, you need to go through the activation Troubleshooter to tell it about your new system.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Ok. Back to the part of using a different computer to transfer windows to a flash drive. If im f.ex using my friends pc, disconnecting his ssd (which as windows) and connecting mine to do the task, will it affect his pc in any way?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. Back to the part of using a different computer to transfer windows to a flash drive. If im f.ex using my friends pc, disconnecting his ssd (which as windows) and connecting mine to do the task, will it affect his pc in any way?
no no no.
All you need your friends PC for is to create the bootable USB.
Don't mess around with swapping drives etc.

Obtain an 8GB USB flash drive. Ensure there is nothing on it you wish to keep...any data will be wiped out.
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and download the MediaCreation tool.

Run that, and it will give you the option to Create Media for another PC.
Do that.
After that, your use of your friends PC is done.

Take that bootable USB, and plug it into your new system.
Boot from that, and install on the SSD.
Of course, have ONLY the SSD connected while you do this install.

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
no no no.
All you need your friends PC for is to create the bootable USB.
Don't mess around with swapping drives etc.

Obtain an 8GB USB flash drive. Ensure there is nothing on it you wish to keep...any data will be wiped out.
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and download the MediaCreation tool.

Run that, and it will give you the option to Create Media for another PC.
Do that.
After that, your use of your friends PC is done.

Take that bootable USB, and plug it into your new system.
Boot from that, and install on the SSD.
Of course, have ONLY the SSD connected while you do this install.
Oh, ok. But does that mean I can use that tool on the laptop that I'm currently using? Or does it need to be a stationary PC

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. One last question. Does any of my existing files on my HDD's and the SSD disappear when I install windows again from the flash drive?
As noted above, you will be wiping out everything that currently lives on the drive you wish to install the OS on, the SSD.
And again, have only the SSD connected when you do this install.

What data lives on the HDD?

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
As noted above, you will be wiping out everything that currently lives on the drive you wish to install the OS on, the SSD.
And again, have only the SSD connected when you do this install.

What data lives on the HDD?
everything pretty much. I only have program files from games, programs, ect. so should be no problem wiping that one. Thx for all the help!!

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Programs that live on the HDD will need to be reinstalled. The new OS on the SSD will know nothing about them.

Steam games can probably worked around without reinstalling.
Hey! Sorry but I have another question. I saw a quick vid on how to boot the usb flash drive to install windows, and in the video it said to Not use the product key, but choose "I dont have product key", why is that? I have my product key written down

USAFRet

Titan
Hey! Sorry but I have another question. I saw a quick vid on how to boot the usb flash drive to install windows, and in the video it said to Not use the product key, but choose "I dont have product key", why is that? I have my product key written down
Your upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 resulted in a generic license key.
What you have is a digital license. A hash of your original Win 7 license and details about your PC.

Whatever license key you found for Win 10 is surely just a generic license, and almost certainly the same as everyone else's.

Skip entering the license key, and then go through the Activation Troubleshooter, as linked above.

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Your upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 resulted in a generic license key.
What you have is a digital license. A hash of your original Win 7 license and details about your PC.

Whatever license key you found for Win 10 is surely just a generic license, and almost certainly the same as everyone else's.

Skip entering the license key, and then go through the Activation Troubleshooter, as linked above.
Hi again. I tried booting windows with the usb flash drive as boot option #1 and it still didnt get me to the windows activation point. It still went to the normal windows loading screen and froze..

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
After building a new pc with many new components (including motherboard and cpu) I was unable to properly open windows on it as the SSD from my previous (which had windows) couldnt read the new components, resulting in the windows loading screen freezing. After alot of help I bought a 16GB USB Flash Drive, downloaded and installed the Windows MediaTool onto it, I still couldnt do anything. I chose the USB Flash Drive as my #1 boot option, I plugged out both SATA and Power connections to my other drives (except SSD) prior to using my USB Flash Drive. I never got into the windows activation screen. It would just take me to the same loading screen and freeze.
Please help..

TRENDING THREADS