Unable to Open MS Documents

Endathi

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Hello, I'm working with a computer that recently ran into a few problems. A few days ago anumber of microsft documents using the .docx extension have become unreadable. Folloiwng this all of the documents actually diaspered from the pc. I was able to recover the documents but they are still unreadable. I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. Note: There are other docx files that open without any problems.

When trying to open these files I recieve the error: "The file filename.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

Click ok

"Word found unreadable content in "File Name.docx". Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes.

Click Yes

"The file filename.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

Click Ok, and nothing.

Reaching for straws at this point. Any Ideas would be great
Thanks

Windows 10 Home
Microsoft Office 2010
I3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
6Gb Memory
On board GPU

Already tested:
System Restore to the beggining of the month.
Opening documents in other suites - Google docs, notepad etc
Using recover tools in MS Word
Tried extracting text from the document - only got gibberish
Attempted to change file extension

Solution
it's unlikely that ms word and cadra is bad at the same time.

might as well reinstall word and try your luck.

can you copy the word docxs while they are still visible and try on another computer?

Endathi

Reputable
May 19, 2014

I'm pretty confident the files are corrupted, unfortunately there arn't any backups. So some sort of recovery software is probably my best bet in order to try and save the files.

Negative on the malware, did a full sweep.

Need to check on the disk failing. I can see how that would cause the files to corrupt, but to disappear completely?

Endathi

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Theres a large number of files, roughly 50 that became corrupt, and subsequently disapered. The only common facter is the last time the documents were accessed was previous to Septemeber/October.

Havn't tried libreoffice as of yet.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
it's unlikely that ms word and cadra is bad at the same time.

might as well reinstall word and try your luck.

can you copy the word docxs while they are still visible and try on another computer?

Solution