Question Unable to post with dual channel memory config

May 21, 2022
Been fighting with this for 2 weeks now. I can use my machine just fine with 1 stick of memory in A2. If I put a second stick into B2, the machine does not post. I get an amber light on the MB. Both sticks work because both sticks boot in A2. I AM able to boot the machine with both sticks in A1 and A2, but obviously that means I am using single channel mode and I've been experiencing game crashing in that config.

I've tried two motherboards. One was an MSI Z690 DDR and the one I am using now is the ASUS TUF Z690-PLUS WIFI D4.

I've tried two different CPUs, both i7-12700.

I've tried three different sets of memory. 1: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 2: GSkill Neo 3600 and 3: Gskill Trident 3200. All the same issue.

I've tried two different power supplies. Same issue.

Both motherboards are / were using the latest BIOS. I've tried my MB with default settings, XMP1, XMP2, voltage set to 1.4 and all do exactly the same thing.

So with all this said, it's probably not the memory sticks. It's probably not the motherboard. So it has to be something with the CPU right? I've reseated it a few times now , especially since I tried a new CPU. I'm using a basic MSI MAG CoreLiquid P240. Seems to be working good as my idle temps are around 30C

I'm at my wits end here. I've basically replaced the entire machine with all new components and have the same problem. What the heck am I doing wrong here? I suppose I can live with one stick of memory, but since I just spend all this money building a new machine, it'll bother me that I have no upgrade path to more memory AND I am in Single Channel mode.

If I can provide any more information, please let me know. My brain is a bit fried from all this and apologize for any lapse in information.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Go back and take a look at the applicable motherboard User Guides/Manuals and specifically RAM installation.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific memory slot.

Another issue may be the RAM sticks: were they purchased as a matched pair for dual channel use?

May 21, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the memory pair was in the correct slots according to the motherboard manual. A2 and B2. No boot. The ONLY combination that works, and I've tried them all, is A1 and A2, but obviously that's not the way I want it.

The first pair of sticks (GSkil Trident RGB 3200) were from my previous machine. I then bought a pair of GSkill Trident Neo 3600 with the same result. Even third a third pair of sticks I got over the weekend which are Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200. All the exact same result.

This is after already replacing the motherboard and the CPU. Yes, I've spent a lot of money trying to figure this one out.

Normally lack of dual channel operation or inability to detect some ram slots will be because of bent socket pins.
It is all too easy to do if you smooshed the chip around to get it seated.
Examine the sockets carefully looking for a pin that is not straight like all the others.
But, because your problem happens with two different motherboards , and if the sockets on both are sound, you could have a defective processor.
It is very rare to have a defective intel processor,
I saw this once with exactly your experience.
Intel replaced it under warranty.
To prove it is the processor, try a different supported processor.

May 21, 2022
Yah the more I read on this, the more things point to a CPU problem.

I've tried two brand new i7-12700s both with the same result on two different motherboards.

I just re-seated the CPU again. Everything looked good on both sides (CPU and MB). Re-seated it and attached the cooler. Still same issue.

I get that this does not make any sense at all. I don't understand it either. I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I have built my share of machines over the years and this is the first time I've had anything like this happen.

Yah the more I read on this, the more things point to a CPU problem.

I've tried two brand new i7-12700s both with the same result on two different motherboards.

I just re-seated the CPU again. Everything looked good on both sides (CPU and MB). Re-seated it and attached the cooler. Still same issue.

I get that this does not make any sense at all. I don't understand it either. I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I have built my share of machines over the years and this is the first time I've had anything like this happen.
When you say pair of ram sticks are talking about a kit or buying 2 of the same stick?

May 21, 2022
Thanks for all the help.

Threw in the towel and got an AMD motherboard with AMD processor and everything works now.

Time to return two sets of motherboards, two processors, and two pairs of memory. Geez.