Question Unable to power PC on anymore

AlexanderDK

Distinguished
May 11, 2016
So I have been enjoying my pc after upgrading to a 12900k system on the gigabyte z690 UD ddr4 mb. I am however running old PSU thermaltake 1000w titanium and an old 1080ti which fans are getting pretty loud and occasionally stops but seemed ‘fine’

My case is also pretty old so the wires could be at fault

About a week ago I noticed my power button would inconsistently work less and less and ultimately yesterday it stopped working. Now I was quite curious as to why this would happen, so I resocketed my case IO pins and it didnt work, so I used the inbuilt button on my MB (q-flash I believe) and that made it turn on then 2 seconds after turn off. I then turned the power off the pc and on re-enabling power it booted by itself, then powered off, and then booted again but this time booted to windows.

I’ve since today been unable to boot it again and I’ve reslotted most of my parts by now, also reslotting my CMOS.

There’s USB power as my keyboard lights up but the motherboard has zero indication of power and the q flash button doesnt work anymore.

I was thinking it might be my case wires but I’m not so sure anymore.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Unplug the case from the motherboard completely. Power on with screwdriver. Look into this first and don't electrocute yourself. See if the problem is there when the case is completely disconnected. If that fixes it u can get a power button separately and power on with that.

Reactions: erminnz
I was spamming my power button and it suddenly booted, then powered off then rebooted into windows
if seogoat's recommendation works;
depending on the manufacturer and/or age of the case you can probably contact the case manufacturer and request a replacement power button rather than purchasing a new one.
at least this way you know you could fit it properly back into place.

i've had a few malfunction over the years and support were usually willing to ship another whether still under warranty or not.

AlexanderDK

Distinguished
May 11, 2016
Unplug the case from the motherboard completely. Power on with screwdriver. Look into this first and don't electrocute yourself. See if the problem is there when the case is completely disconnected. If that fixes it u can get a power button separately and power on with that.
I will try this tomorrow as I rely on my pc for my studies at the moment, hopefully it's as simple as a wire malfunction

AlexanderDK

Distinguished
May 11, 2016
if seogoat's recommendation works;
depending on the manufacturer and/or age of the case you can probably contact the case manufacturer and request a replacement power button rather than purchasing a new one.
at least this way you know you could fit it properly back into place.

i've had a few malfunction over the years and support were usually willing to ship another whether still under warranty or not.
I have a NZXT case from around 2015, so it's about time to replace, but I've definitely only had good experiences with their support, sending me a box of goodies when a screw broke haha :)

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
You can't electrocute yourself by momentarily shorting out the two pins that start the computer, because the voltage on these pins is below the SELV limit. All the dangerous voltages remain safely inside the PSU's metal case where you cannot touch them. The highest voltage that comes out of a typical ATX PSU is 12V DC.

Reactions: erminnz and seogoat