Question Unable to reactivate SSD which is one of 2 spanned disks

dzséti

Prominent
Aug 10, 2022
I have 2 Samsung SSD disks that are spanned. Have had no problems until now, but one of the 2 disks is now shown as "missing" and right-clicking it in Disk Management I am unable to reactivate. What is the best strategy to follow to recover the data?

Can disks be removed from spans and then used separately or are individual files also spanned across the 2 disks? This is new territory for me

I have 2 Samsung SSD disks that are spanned. Have had no problems until now, but one of the 2 disks is now shown as "missing" and right-clicking it in Disk Management I am unable to reactivate. What is the best strategy to follow to recover the data?
Can disks be removed from spans and then used separately or are individual files also spanned across the 2 disks? This is new territory for me
If the disk shows as missing, then it may have died.
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Some data from spanned volume may be recovered. But not the part from missing drive. That one is lost.

Reactions: dzséti

dzséti

Prominent
Aug 10, 2022
I've been restarting the PC various times and now on about the 5th restart after the problem arose the spanned volume has reappeared with both disks working. No idea why this happened. Might I have a bad motherboard?

At least all my files now look okay. Thanks for everyone's help with this

on about the 5th restart after the problem arose the spanned volume has reappeared with both disks working.
No idea why this happened. Might I have a bad motherboard?
I'd suggest you
copy data from spanned volume to some other storage device,​
delete spanned volume,​
convert 1TB drives from dynamic to basic,​
repartition/reformat them as separate partitions and then​
copy data back to them.​
Also - you may want to check health of your 1TB drives. Use HDtune health. Post screenshots.

Reactions: dzséti