Unable to reappoint TrustedInstaller as owner in C:Drive permissions!

tmcgrechan

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
Hello, so I made a big mistake by changing the owner from TrustedInstaller to a user account thinking it would give me better access. Basically this destroyed my SSD and made everything inaccessible. So i have to do a Windows 10 reset (keep all files) to fix it. Everything is performing well again except now I can't do simple things like run APPs (xbox, store etc). I tried re-adding trustedinstaller via "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" but it comes up with the error "an object with the following name cannot be found". It is currently set as "OWNER: everyone" and my principals are: administrator, authenticated users, everyone, system, me, users. How can I fix this?

Solution
I feel sorry for people who do this, Windows doesn't work right if you change ownership away from trustedinstaller as its job is to install things and has to have certain access to do that.

There is no simple way to re add the user. windows really shouldn't let you do it in first place as its destructive.

The only way to fix it is a fresh install as simply resetting it doesn't seem to change enough. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

backup everything you want to save off C drive, change boot order in bios to USB first, hdd second and follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
I feel sorry for people who do this, Windows doesn't work right if you change ownership away from trustedinstaller as its job is to install things and has to have certain access to do that.

There is no simple way to re add the user. windows really shouldn't let you do it in first place as its destructive.

The only way to fix it is a fresh install as simply resetting it doesn't seem to change enough. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

backup everything you want to save off C drive, change boot order in bios to USB first, hdd second and follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution