Unable to run PING and TRACERT from CMD

probuddha

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Hello

I installed ibVPN trial version yesterday for a test run and within an hour of running it, I uninstalled it.

However, since then, I am unable to run Ping and Traceroutes to any website through the CMD. I later noticed a TAP 2 network adapter being installed along with the VPN client, but I removed it through Device Manager.

But still can't run ping and traceroutes to websites

Code:
C:\>tracert google.com
Unable to resolve target system name google.com.

Code:
C:\>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again

Another thing worth mentioning here is that I can ping IP addresses but not domain names.

Also when I went to deactivate my network adapter to change the DNS, I got the following message

2cbx1e.png

Please advise

Many thanks!

probuddha

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Okay, I tried the following and it solved the problem. So anyone else having the same problem should try the methods suggested in this thread and see if that helps them as well

Let’s try to reset WINSOCK, IPv4 TCP/IP and IPv6 TCP/IP stack.

a. Click on Start and in the search box, type cmd.
b. Right click on the Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a Command Prompt.
c. At the command prompt window, type the following commands:
netsh winsock reset catalog that resets WINSOCK entries to installation defaults.
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log that resets IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log resets IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.
d. Restart the computer.

Thanks

chienetfou

Reputable
May 7, 2014
Have you checked if your firewall(software) is blocking any of the following: Windows Services (TCP), Windows Services (UDP), All other ICMP packets, or All other TCP/UDP connections? If they are blocked then change the rule to either allow by application rules or allow.

Good Luck

TRENDING THREADS