Unable to see partition at bios

eelee

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hey there, I've recently made a clean format of my HDD with two seperate partitions for Windows and Linux. I installed Linux (ubuntu) first after formatting my drive and everything was fine. After this I installed Windows (7 Home Premium) and the installation went fine without a hitch.

Although now after installing Windows I can only select to boot from the Windows partition and my bios can only detect said partition. So I was wondering if there was a way to be able to get my bios to detect both partitions without having to wipe the second Linux partition and install again.

PC Specs are:

Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AMD 990FX
Processor : AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition
HDD : Seagate SSHD 7200RPM 3.5" 2TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache -
Graphics Card : MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming Edition OC 4096MB GDDR5
PSU : NZXT Hale Power 90+ 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

Thanks for helping :)

Solution
The problem is that windows isn't very friendly and it wrote over the launcher for Ubuntu. Had you installed windows first ubuntu would have included it it the launcher, much more friendly.

To fix your problem. The easiest way is to boot to your ubuntu usb or dvd and install boot-repair https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and run the default settings. It'll fix you right up. If you don't have the boot disk boot-repair does come in a stand alone cd iso.
Hi,

Since the partition are on the same hard drive, you need to work with a boot loader and not from the BIOS.

Boot in windows 7 and download easyBCD.
It's a free program for home usage.

When you boot your computer you will be able to chose on what partition you want to boot on.

eelee

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hey Dextermat

Thanks for the swift responce to this, I'll try using the easy BCD boot loader you're talking about.

Will this pop up after I boot off my primary HDD and not mess with my original BIOS? (like if you shut down your PC manually and the windows diagnostic screen appears)

Weirdly enough windows can't detect my Ubuntu partition going into My Computer but when running ubuntu off disc, both partitions are visible.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
The problem is that windows isn't very friendly and it wrote over the launcher for Ubuntu. Had you installed windows first ubuntu would have included it it the launcher, much more friendly.

To fix your problem. The easiest way is to boot to your ubuntu usb or dvd and install boot-repair https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair and run the default settings. It'll fix you right up. If you don't have the boot disk boot-repair does come in a stand alone cd iso.

Solution