Unable to select native resolution after W10 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsAverageMan

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
Hi,

A friend of mine upgraded to W10 this afternoon after being on W7 Ultimate. Everything seemed okay until he went to change his monitor resolution. It isn't listed under the resolution settings in the control panel. His monitor's native res. is 1366x768, but even when selecting 1360x768, it says that his input is not supported and he has to restart his PC.

This is strange considering it worked just fine when on Windows 7, but after the upgrade he cannot select 1366x768. My only concern is that his GPU is quite old - It's a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, and the monitor is an Acer X193HQ. Could the GPU not be properly supported for W10? He doesn't know an awful lot about hardware so it's difficult to gain a lot of information from him, but I believe he's using a DVI cable to output video.

If anyone can help my buddy it'll be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Solution
I suppose your friend may try reinstalling display drivers, as the one running now is telling the operating system that it is incapable of running the resolution you want. Thoroughly uninstall the current driver with DDU and install whatever Windows 10 wants to install, as AMD has not released a Windows 10-supported driver for HD 4600 series display cards. Your friend can also try AMD's driver detection utility, but there is no telling if it will work out

ESPclipse

Reputable
May 27, 2014
I suppose your friend may try reinstalling display drivers, as the one running now is telling the operating system that it is incapable of running the resolution you want. Thoroughly uninstall the current driver with DDU and install whatever Windows 10 wants to install, as AMD has not released a Windows 10-supported driver for HD 4600 series display cards. Your friend can also try AMD's driver detection utility, but there is no telling if it will work out

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.