Question Unable to solve ethernet issues on PC

Jul 13, 2024
I have recently (past month or so) had an issue with my PCs ethernet connection, where it every 10 minutes or so will not working entirely for a couple minutes then start up again like nothing happened. Windows does not display it disconnecting or saying no internet during this time. I am running an ethernet cable through my house and into a dlink DGS-1005A Switch, to split it to my PC and my GFs PC, she never has any problems with her connection.

Motherboard: Asus Rog crosshair viii Hero wifi
Ethernet port: Realtek PCIe 2.5gbe family controller

Things I have tried:
Updating ethernet driver
Using other ethernet port and updating that driver
Flashing Bios Update
Using 3 different cables
Removing the Switch entirely and going directly into my PC
Changing driver advanced properties like gigabit lite, green ethernet and powersaving mode.

I am running out of ideas as to how to fix this.

Any new ideas would be great

Thanks

Fletcher

Jul 10, 2024
Have you tried totally uninstalling the ethernet device after right-click on it from within Device Manager. Then click on Scan for hardware Changes and let windows totally re-install the device. Then re-boot and look back in device manager to see that all is installed with no exclamation marks next to it. Then open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" to view all adaptors in the system.

How long does it stay broken. It is long enough so you can issue commands and check things.

Try basic IPCONFIG /all both when it is working and when it fails. If you see it going to a disconnected state it is a physical problem. If the IP addresses changes it can be a DHCP issue.

Maybe try ARP -a both when it works and when it fails. Mostly you are trying to see if the mac address of the router changes.

Can you ping the router IP when it is in a broken state. If this works it is going to be a more complex issue since you actually have network in your house and it is something related to one of the many other things that let you access stuff on the internet.