Question Unable to sucessfully install Realtek ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
So... Pretty much what the title says, I've tried every possible way to install Realtek, yet I've had no luck, it shows up in Programs and Feature, but not in Device Manager, and I cannot open it in any way. Anyone has had this issue?

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
You could try googling Realtek 9235 and get the latest driver. The ASUS website may be out of date for available drivers since its an older motherboard and they don't maintain the website very well once motherboards are out of date, they basically just abandon it. I know since I also have an older build with an H97 motherboard but I just installed the latest driver and it works fine.

Also, I noticed you're using an Enterprise version of W10. Do you have full administrative control over the installation process or is there a network administrator in control? When you select an .exe file to run setup, can you right click on it and select "Run as Administrator"? Hope this helps.
Is this one safe? https://station-drivers.com/index.php/en/outils/func-startdown/5115/lang,en-gb/

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I suggest downloading directly from Realtek's website. This one might not be trustworthy.
Also, when you're installing it, I suggest you turn off your antivirus software. I had Malwarebytes prevent an installation of chrome once.
I don't have any antivirus, not even Windows Defender, so that's definitely not the issue.

And the drivers from Realtek's official website are from 2017, same date as the drivers from the Asus website, so I'm assuming it's the same version.

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I'm gonna add a few more details that I forgot to mention;
-Windows Defender is completely disabled
-Microsoft Store is also completely disabled

I don't know if those 2 have anything to do with Realtek not installing properly, but yeah. Also, is it possible to somehow disable Realtek from the Reg Edit? It's possible I might have done it some years ago, I honestly have no idea, I don't remember 🤷‍♂️

Also, I think it should be a cue the fact that Windows crashes every time I try to manually install it from the Device Manager; if I add the Realtek legacy driver and try to update it; it crashes, if I install Realtek, and then try to install the legacy driver, it also crashes, it's like something is impeding it from actually being installed, like it's conflicting with something, I just don't know what.

Last edited:

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I'm gonna add a few more details that I forgot to mention;
-Windows Defender is completely disabled
-Microsoft Store is also completely disabled

I don't know if those 2 have anything to do with Realtek not installing properly, but yeah. Also, is it possible to somehow disable Realtek from the Reg Edit? It's possible I might have done it some years ago, I honestly have no idea, I don't remember 🤷‍♂️
Did you disable Windows defender using a third party program? Windows turns the real time protection on after a few minutes if you disable it from the windows security center

D

Deleted member 14196

Can you uninstall the software, remove the hard drive from your laptop, install it in your computer and boot from it, install the software again to see if the problem still happens?
If it does it might be because of your other hardware or because of your disk cable.
If it doesn't then it might be the hard drive itself or something on the hard drive interfering with the installation (for example: antivirus software).
You can’t take a disk from another machine and put it into another computer and boot from it so this doesn’t make any sense

D

Deleted member 14196

It doesn’t work for computers of any kind. You claiming that it works for you it’s just you claiming that with no proof. You can’t take a Windows install that’s configured for particular hardware and swap it into another completely different system things won’t work correctly

You were extremely lucky if anything did boot for you at all. Going from a laptop to completely different hardware in a tower PC is guaranteed not to work. It may boot but it won’t run right and it solves nothing

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s still doesn’t make a difference because what you might think it’s exact same has different hardware in it so it may work but it might not and it’s not good advice

The user is better to just format a hard drive and reinstall windows. And if it still feels after that then it’s hardware. That’s how you do testing

D

Deleted member 14196

Also I wonder about the validity of this users Windows license. Windows enterprise is super expensive and I wonder where he got it

Best bet is to reformat the hard drive and put standard windows on it

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
Also I wonder about the validity of this users Windows license. Windows enterprise is super expensive and I wonder where he got it

Best bet is to reformat the hard drive and put standard windows on it
It's probably not a legit Windows license. Could be pirated or something

Last edited:
Yes, I downloaded and installed that one yesterday and it works fine on my older H97i build. Its sad that neither Realtek or ASUS maintain up to date websites with the latest drivers. Realtek is totally worthless and delegates drivers and hardware patches to the motherboard makers that buy their chips. ASUS only maintains its website for newer motherboards so at least the drivers and patches for my newer Z590 build are up to date. But it still takes time for them to list the most current files which is just poor management and not wanting to spend the necessary money on support personnel to maintain the website.

I know, ROG and Asus have the worst support for their products
No, actually ASUS is the best of a really bad bunch. At least ASUS was able to get Realtek to debug and release a patch for the ALC4080 chips even though it took months. Other motherboard makers don't even show that patch on their support pages. And they promptly listed the latest 2299 driver update that others haven't listed. So ASUS is a little ahead of other motherboard makers and I'm thankful that at least its not any worse.

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
No, actually ASUS is the best of a really bad bunch. At least ASUS was able to get Realtek to debug and release a patch for the ALC4080 chips even though it took months. Other motherboard makers don't even show that patch on their support pages. And they promptly listed the latest 2299 driver update that others haven't listed. So ASUS is a little ahead of other motherboard makers and I'm thankful that at least its not any worse.
Not to be mean but they can't even fix a simple typo that has been noticed for 9 months in the armory crate:
View: https://imgur.com/wdOijAT

Armory crate in TUF theme shows "Wondows mode" instead of Windows mode. Try it out for yourself.

Last edited:

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Aye guys, I appreciate your passion for debate, but I didn't create this post for all of you to discuss your personal opinions and idealisms, if you don't have any possible fix for my issue refrain from replying, I'd highly appreciate it.

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Yes, I downloaded and installed that one yesterday and it works fine on my older H97i build. Its sad that neither Realtek or ASUS maintain up to date websites with the latest drivers. Realtek is totally worthless and delegates drivers and hardware patches to the motherboard makers that buy their chips. ASUS only maintains its website for newer motherboards so at least the drivers and patches for my newer Z590 build are up to date. But it still takes time for them to list the most current files which is just poor management and not wanting to spend the necessary money on support personnel to maintain the website.
Yeah, I tried downloading and installing that one, also didn't work.

D

Deleted member 14196

It's really not that expensive tho, it's about 40 dollars in G2A.
That’s not a valid copy of windows and may explain why this isn’t working for you. A valid copy goes for a lot of money and if you got it for 40 then that’s basically a stolen key. Microsoft could deactivate your key at any time so be wary of that

Anyway my advice is the same clean fresh install and if it doesn’t work then it’s your hardware

From what I read above you installed and deinstalled so many different drivers your configuration is probably hosed anyway

D

Deleted member 14196

Also. Realtek has some issues. If I don’t use the exact version that my mobo came with, The drivers will install but the GUI software to the user doesn’t work. Make sure to use the exact version that shipped with your motherboard

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
That’s not a valid copy of windows and may explain why this isn’t working for you. A valid copy goes for a lot of money and if you got it for 40 then that’s basically a stolen key. Microsoft could deactivate your key at any time so be wary of that

Anyway my advice is the same clean fresh install and if it doesn’t work then it’s your hardware

From what I read above you installed and deinstalled so many different drivers your configuration is probably hosed anyway
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it, I've done a lot of tweaking on this computer, I most definitely would solve this easier by just doing a fresh installation of Windows.