[SOLVED] Unable to use NVMe SSD in PCIe 4x Adapter Card in Windows 10

ApolloPT

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am trying to clone 3 NVMe SSDs, through this adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Msata-PCIE-M-2-NGFF-NVME-SATA-SSD-to-PCI-Express-4X-SATA3-Adapter-Card/352732049787?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

But seems like my computer doesnt even detect the hardware in management list of hardware, with one NVMe SSD connected.

There are 3 leds, but no description for debug using those:

http://prntscr.com/p9uowl

I have this card adapter connected to a fully functional PCIe 16x. I am using a Windows 10 fully updated.

This adapter card seems to be working, I was able to detect it in linux, but didnt tried to install it.

Any of you have ever used such adapter card, in order to help me using it?

Note: there is no manual or drivers given by the seller.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
That adapter only supports 1 NVME drive.
The other M2 slot is clearly marked as Sata as is the mSata port.

Make sure the drive is plugged into the lower port.
Next you need to load an NVME driver.
Once that is done, windows should be able to see the drive and clone to it. Unless your clone is of a bootable NVME drive, don't expect it to boot. It won't have the driver....

Ralston18

Titan
Are you trying clone one NVMe SSD to three other NVMe SSD's at the same time?

Being a "3-in-1" does not mean that that is possible per se.

What "3-in-1" means is that the adapter can be the host for any one, but one only, of the three (B, M, B&M) adapters.

Try cloning to just one target NVMe SSD at a time. Try all adapter ports and different NVMes as the target drive.

Determine if any and all such clones work.

popatim

Titan
That adapter only supports 1 NVME drive.
The other M2 slot is clearly marked as Sata as is the mSata port.

Make sure the drive is plugged into the lower port.
Next you need to load an NVME driver.
Once that is done, windows should be able to see the drive and clone to it. Unless your clone is of a bootable NVME drive, don't expect it to boot. It won't have the driver....

Solution

ApolloPT

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Thanks for all the help,

I always say this, don't clone, rather install the OS afresh on the NVMe/SATA M.2 drive after creating the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. It's much more faster compared to cloning and troubleshooting.

Wait, those clones are for worstcase scenarios, to be storaged. I cannot afford such advice, I have almost 50 machines (Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 10) in production.

Sorry if I have misunderstand you all with my question, I am trying to clone one by one, from phisical drives to several images. The issue is that windows doenst detect this PCI adapter, with or without the M.2 drive.

Make sure the NVMe SSD is detected in BIOS. If not, you may need to connect the SSD to the motherboard directly instead of an adapter.

I dont have a native NVMe M2 drive slot in mainboard, thats why I have bought this adapter, expecting that I could use it as a swiss army knife, for all types of slots and associated technologies.

I've spoken with the seller about this issue, and he said that the adapter is broken, so he will send another.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Last edited:

ApolloPT

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
So for those having the same challenge, I have quit from using this adapter, and bought a SSD with 250GB, install Windows 10 with a full installation of paragon software who is the program that I have been using for backing up and restoring, and now I am able to do it no matter what kind of socket the target machine has. Also there is no need to activate windows to use paragon.

A portable UEFI SATA plug and play, a true swiss army knife for this kind of disks.

TRENDING THREADS