[SOLVED] Unable to use old SSD after cloning Windows to new M.2 SSD

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
I recently bought an M.2 NVme SSD (KingstonKC2000 500GB M.2 SSD) and went througha bunch of tutorials on how to clone windows to it. I've done that, but now I feel like I might've done something wrong when wiping my old SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD). The instructions I followed (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/moving-os-from-ssd-to-m-2-ssd.3295345/ (From USAFRet's answer)) told me to wipe the old SSD, delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, and then delete ALL of the partitions on the old SSD. What happened after that was that my old SSD was completely out of the system library. I then went to disk management, located it, and expanded it's partitions (so that I could use it. I have done that now, it's completely wiped, but I don't feel like I've done it correctly. When I try to do "Performance Benchmark Test" on Samsung Magician, it instantly fails on the old SSD. So now I'm asking the experts on what I did Right/Wrong.
https://www.komplett.no/orders/35837267

Solution
Yes format the drive. You can usually still boot if you disable the old SSD in the BIOS from the boot order. Cloning also has risks and you still might be forced to install Windows the old fashion way unless you are getting it to boot cleanly without the other SSD installed.
Yes format the drive. You can usually still boot if you disable the old SSD in the BIOS from the boot order. Cloning also has risks and you still might be forced to install Windows the old fashion way unless you are getting it to boot cleanly without the other SSD installed.

Solution

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
You need to format it after expanding the partitions. Do that in disk management.
Actually nevermind it seems that the Old SSD is working perfectly fine after I created a new partition. It has all the memory it needs, and after running a benchmark test on Samsung Magician, the reading numbers shows the exact speed that the SSD should be running on (500~ MB/s)

J3nga

Prominent
Jul 1, 2019
Actually nevermind it seems that the Old SSD is working perfectly fine after I created a new partition. It has all the memory it needs, and after running a benchmark test on Samsung Magician, the reading numbers shows the exact speed that the SSD should be running on (500~ MB/s)
I would've wanted to format it now, but I've aleredy reinstalled a bunch of programs which used to be in my HDD's.