[SOLVED] Unable to use RAM slots C1 et C2 on TRX40 Creator

Feb 12, 2020
Hello guys,

I recently purchased a ASRock TRX40 Creator motherboard and I'm facing a problem with only RAM slots C1 and C2.

The RAM I have is 2 pairs of Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go (2x16Go) DDR4 3200MHz (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16).
I have the latest BIOS (P1.30) installed and the CPU is a Threadripper 3960x.

If I try to boot with only 1 stick on any on these both ports, the computer won't start (black screen).

Then, if I try with 4 sticks in either A1,B1,C1,D1 or A2, B2, C2, D2:
  • I get the following error during the boot sequence: "Memory PMU Training error at Socket 0 Channel 4 DIMM 1"
  • only 3 of the stick appears in the bios (A, B and D)
  • CPU-Z indicates I'm in Triple Channel mode with a size of 48GB
I have tried all sticks on both of the C slots and get the exact same problem every time. Using any combination of 3 sticks also always works. I also tried to boot in dual channel with a spare pair of 8GB memory (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15). This tests make me think it is not due to a faulty memory.

I haven't changed any BIOS setting (factory default). I also checked the CPU pins and they all look fine.

Could anybody help me on this? What should I do next?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I am. And Only A, B and D shows up on the main screen.
If you're able to get into the BIOS when you tried the RAM in A2, B2, C2, D2 the manually set XMP and make sure the timings and voltage matches your RAM or enter those settings manually...even lowering the speed to 2933MHz.

Do you think I should return the extra pair I recently ordered and get a 4x8Go Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz kit (CMK32GX4M4B3600C18) instead? Which is in the compatibility list.
If you cannot get them to work together, return both pairs and get either 2x 16GB kit or 4x 8GB kit
Which motherboard and CPU ?
When you mix RAM that was not tested to work together could cause that issue.
You might need to manually select XMP at lower speed...2933MHz to see if the two pairs can run at that speed.
You should have got a 4 stick kit, since RAM might look similar...but half the times the IC chips are different.

Feb 12, 2020
The motherboard is a ASRock TRX40 Creator and the CPU is a Ryzen Threadripper 3960x.

I already owned a pair, and I recently bought an extra one, for that config. But thanks for the advice, I'll think about it next time.

Even when I try with only 2 sticks, I get the same issue. With one stick (on a slot C), the PC doesn't even boot (while it does using A, B or D). Don't you think this seem to indicate a faulty motherboard instead of a faulty RAM?

I will still try to use XMP and lower the frequency. That's a good idea. Thanks again.

The motherboard is a ASRock TRX40 Creator and the CPU is a Ryzen Threadripper 3960x.

I already owned a pair, and I recently bought an extra one, for that config. But thanks for the advice, I'll think about it next time.

Even when I try with only 2 sticks, I get the same issue. With one stick (on a slot C), the PC doesn't even boot (while it does using A, B or D). Don't you think this seem to indicate a faulty motherboard instead of a faulty RAM?

I will still try to use XMP and lower the frequency. That's a good idea. Thanks again.
Check the CPU socket for bent pins.

Reactions: Florian13
Feb 12, 2020
Memory manufacturers won't guarantee such combinations of memory as you have to work together. Your free to play around and do your own compatibility testing.

As already posted, C1 and C2 are not valid Memory Configurations for using one or two DIMMs.
Do you think I should return the extra pair I recently ordered and get a 4x8Go Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz kit (CMK32GX4M4B3600C18) instead? Which is in the compatibility list.

Last edited:
Yes, I am. And Only A, B and D shows up on the main screen.
If you're able to get into the BIOS when you tried the RAM in A2, B2, C2, D2 the manually set XMP and make sure the timings and voltage matches your RAM or enter those settings manually...even lowering the speed to 2933MHz.

If you cannot get them to work together, return both pairs and get either 2x 16GB kit or 4x 8GB kit

Solution
Feb 12, 2020
So I tried that and same problem remains.. the memory stick on C2 never shows up. The default XMP timings are correct, and a lower frequency didn't help.

Got it. I'll think about that option.

Apr 10, 2020
Hi,
I have the same problem as you. But on slots A1 and A2. I get the memory training error.
I have tested 4 different memory brands. I discovered that problem always happens when the board is cold on the morning when you turn the PC on. But I believe it is a Bios problem. Looks like the cold boot procedure does not assign the correct memory voltage I think.

When you enter the BIOS, If you load default setup and set the XMP profile manually all works fine. Passes all burning tests on Windows and is stable, not a single issue. I had the problem with the original BiOS, then version 1.5 got the issue, but somehow it fixed by itself and worked fine for two months.
Then, about a week ago I upgraded to BiOS 1.6 and the problem started again. Tryed a lot of things but nothing happened. I reverted back to 1.5 and the problem did not got solved. But on experimenting, once I loaded the default values started to work again, so I reflashed version 1.6 with default values and worked fine the whole day. But now again on cold boot memory training errors. (Actually is not cold temp here on my home, about 20° C on morning).
So I went to BIOS and the values wasn't the default ones that I loaded the day before. I again loaded the defaults, configured the XMP profile and that worked fine. This time I saved the profile on default 1 slot, booted, saved the values again. Booted again, saved the values again (all this to make sure that the config gets saved).
I will have to wait until tomorrow for a cold boot to check if the values are keept saved as it looks like there is some kind of long discharge capacitor that keeps a NVRAM fresh.
My recommendation. If you can return the board and get another from ASUS go that way. This Asrock board is just crap. I wasn't able to get it exchanged on my local retailer because the board works fine when you test it on the same day and when I explained the issue they keept blaming to my memory sticks.
Those sticks where all working fine on my previous ASUS board with my first gen ThreadRipper so I blame Asrock for this.

Feb 12, 2020
Hi,
I have the same problem as you. But on slots A1 and A2. I get the memory training error.
I have tested 4 different memory brands. I discovered that problem always happens when the board is cold on the morning when you turn the PC on. But I believe it is a Bios problem. Looks like the cold boot procedure does not assign the correct memory voltage I think.

When you enter the BIOS, If you load default setup and set the XMP profile manually all works fine. Passes all burning tests on Windows and is stable, not a single issue. I had the problem with the original BiOS, then version 1.5 got the issue, but somehow it fixed by itself and worked fine for two months.
Then, about a week ago I upgraded to BiOS 1.6 and the problem started again. Tryed a lot of things but nothing happened. I reverted back to 1.5 and the problem did not got solved. But on experimenting, once I loaded the default values started to work again, so I reflashed version 1.6 with default values and worked fine the whole day. But now again on cold boot memory training errors. (Actually is not cold temp here on my home, about 20° C on morning).
So I went to BIOS and the values wasn't the default ones that I loaded the day before. I again loaded the defaults, configured the XMP profile and that worked fine. This time I saved the profile on default 1 slot, booted, saved the values again. Booted again, saved the values again (all this to make sure that the config gets saved).
I will have to wait until tomorrow for a cold boot to check if the values are keept saved as it looks like there is some kind of long discharge capacitor that keeps a NVRAM fresh.
My recommendation. If you can return the board and get another from ASUS go that way. This Asrock board is just crap. I wasn't able to get it exchanged on my local retailer because the board works fine when you test it on the same day and when I explained the issue they keept blaming to my memory sticks.
Those sticks where all working fine on my previous ASUS board with my first gen ThreadRipper so I blame Asrock for this.

You are totally right to blame ASRock. Since then, I returned the MB and ordered an Asus Prime TRX40 Pro instead. The problem went away.