Unallocated spaces at the begining and the end of the Disk?!

magedmanseven

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello,

I got a new 4TB Hard drive and have decided to make it the Boot drive with Windows 10, so i did a clean install of Version 1511 (Build 10586) via a USB Stick and Partitioned my new Hard drive during the Setup through a Custom Installation process, it created 3 hidden system Partitions: a 450MB "Recovery" Partition, a 100MB "System" Partition, and a 16MB "MSR Reserved" Partition. These 3 system Partitions are familiar to me and i have a slight knowledge about them.

However, when i Boot to my other Hard drive (MBR with Windows 7) i loaded up EaseUS Partition Master software, it shows 2 Unallocated spaces: a 1MB Unallocated space at the beginning of the Disk (for BitLocker i believe. Correct me if i'm wrong), and a 839KB Unallocated space at the end of the Disk.

Note: These are only showing on Partition Master software, and do not appear on windows Disk Management utility.

Screenshot of Partition Master
http://goo.gl/q0G2fR

I don't know what are these Unallocated spaces for, Do they should exist or not? i'm looking for some information about them.
Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
Moved to Storage.

They're not GPT related; they're related to the move from 512B to 4K sectors. Most partitioning tools will do the same on MBR drives too. Not correctly aligning it can cause massive performance issues.

You could delete and recreate it, but there's little point for less than 1MiB. Most partitioning tools would also just create the same size partition again.
Unallocated does not mean it's a partition. It's free space that could have a partition in it in future. You can't delete it; it's like deleting empty space.

The partitioning tool makes sure that all partitions start and end on round numbers so you don't have alignment issues, and that means leaving up to 1MiB at each end.

magedmanseven

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

Oops! i thought they're just 2 partitions and Windows made them Unallocated somehow! :pt1cable:
Yeah i can't delete Unallocated space, what i meant was deleting Partition D:\ so its space would be merged with the 839KB at the end of the Disk, then creating a new Partition of the whole space. So these Unallocated spaces at the begining and the end are GPT related? Actually this is my first experience using GPT Disks, and i have never encountered such a thing with MBR.

Moved to Storage.

They're not GPT related; they're related to the move from 512B to 4K sectors. Most partitioning tools will do the same on MBR drives too. Not correctly aligning it can cause massive performance issues.

You could delete and recreate it, but there's little point for less than 1MiB. Most partitioning tools would also just create the same size partition again.

Solution