Unannounced Dell All-in-One Shows Up at Walmart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]Basic users today are expecting Hulu to work, Netflix, Flash videos, online games, and more. An intel GMA GPU that can't handle 1080p video is gonna piss off a lot of consumers...[/citation]

If the Display isn't HD then this whole remark is pretty much a moot point then isn't it?

[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]Step up $500, and you get a 3GHz iMac, 21.5 vs 18.5", better resolution, better GPU, Better WiFi, bluetooth, much greater expandability, wireless components (kbd/mouse), better speakers, lower power draw, cheaper extended warranty, a free copy of Parallels 5, and more. A Dell with an intel GMA GPU might last a year or two before it's completely useless on the modern Internet, and from day 1 it can't do HD video and can't support dual displays, where an iMac should last 3-5 years easy, and resell later for 1/3rd its value or more. At least on the Mini or an iMac you can play WoW...[/citation]

Thats asking users to almost double what they paid for this unit already.. for just 500 dollars more.... if you look at it that way, head over to dell.com and look at what you can get there for 500 more... pretty sure something that would blow away your Mac recommendation out of the water in an instant... not always a good idea to bring Mac and Price into a battle... we already know that when you crack open a Mac, most of the components are the same as the competitors with few exceptions... the reason for less problems for Apple is that they have WAY less configuration options for you to choose from and don't have to worry about different parts causing differnt issues. I'm sure if Dell only offered 4 laptops, with no choice in hardware and got the kinks worked out that they would rise to the cream of the crop in reliability as well.. how many year old tech are most of those MAC's based on?? Any using the initial Core i7, or i5?'s Any using the second Gen Core i5's? Say... the MAC's are 2 generations back on processor tech...

Get my long but pointed response...

Dman2001

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Saw this this weekend here in NE, about $598(?) core 2. Thought I had missed a new version of XPS. Looked decent enough, copmared to a Atom 2xx for $400 like usual. What happened to the touch version that Sam's had?

These are for basic use but with more oomph than single core Atom but with just a slight premium ($100?). If you want dual monitors, work horse, or HTPC; then buy one. You know, I'd like a auto that carries 9, two tonnes of equipment, goes from zero to sixty in 2.9 sec., has zero emmisions, no gas usage, and costs under 15K, but I guess it just ain't happening, huh?

G

The only thing I dislike about All in One's is that if your hardware becomes outdated you end up buying a monitor all the time too. Its really not a practical computer design. Monitors far outlast hardware. One reason I would never buy a iMac because its not upgradable.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom]Not bad, but not good. a Mac Mini and a cheap 19" monitor can be had for about $700 ($740 with a RAM upgrade), and that comes with a decent processor (a bit slower, but at least it has VT), a much better GPU, better expandability, faster RAM, and higher resolution, and it runs OS X and Windows.[/citation]

And what mac mini are you talking about? straight from apple the cheapest mac mini is 600 bones, with 2.26ghz/2g ram/160g hdd?! Ok start with that, 600 plus 100 for a monitor, 20 bucks for a mouse and keyboard, $95 for the ram (comes with 2x1gig, so to get 4g you need to replace all of it cheapest ddr3 laptop ram is $95 from the egg), 100 more dollars for a 640 hdd(and the re installation of osx), not to mention you are still stuck with a 2.26 core2?

So for 915 dollars you got a system that is all wires that you opened up to upgrade yourself.

For 914 bucks go to dell.com you can build the Studio One 19, your choice of a e8400 or a q8200, 4 gigs of ram, the same 9400m graphics, and it comes with its own mouse and keyboard! no reassembly required!

Status
Not open for further replies.